Computer Help forum

Question

Power light changes color

by efagan8210 / April 15, 2012 7:15 AM PDT

My Acer Aspire 4730 is on outlet power and, for seemingly no reason, the light surrounding the power button changes colors from green to orange, to yellow and then keeps switching between orange and yellow. It stops if I pull the power cord out and then slip it back in, but I'm a bit worried about the computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power light changes color
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power light changes color
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is your PC, still, is within the first 30-60 days warranty?
by LucJPatenaude / April 15, 2012 7:30 AM PDT

If so, order yourself a replacement part of that Power Supply Unit(PSU). I think it is a faulty one. Get yourself a PowerBar for the machine. Sometimes, PowerBars do regulate the electricity flow that goes to all units plugged onto it.
If not, might as well get your machine upgraded as of the size of wattage of that PSU for a much bigger one, while having to buy a replacement one, anyway. Later on, you will not regret doing such upgrade as you, suddenly, decided to install a much better Video/Graphics card in the PCI-E x16's expansion slot.

Hope that enlightens you on your current situation.
Wink

Collapse -
It's not under warranty anymore.
by efagan8210 / April 15, 2012 9:11 AM PDT

What's wrong with the power supply? I've had this notebook for about 4 years.

Collapse -
At 4 years the laptop battery is done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 9:41 AM PDT

Did you replace that along the way? The rated lifespan for most are a mere 300 cycles or 18 months. You are well past that time.
Bob

Collapse -
Still the factory original.
by efagan8210 / April 15, 2012 10:33 AM PDT

Only just started doing that.

Collapse -
Then remove the battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 11:49 AM PDT

An old battery can strain the motherboard and charger which can cause other costs to fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
Not telling me/us that was a Notebook version of an
by LucJPatenaude / April 16, 2012 5:44 AM PDT

Acer Aspire did not help me discern your true situation.

Besides, your very small and compacted PSU might be malfunctioning anyway. Battery in the unit or not.

You got lucky it lasted that long as Bob stated it. 2.67 times the 18 months it should have lasted.

Seems that, a run to the nearest electronics store is in order now.
Wink

Collapse -
Battery out, runs ok
by efagan8210 / April 16, 2012 5:44 PM PDT

But every so often, if I lift it off my heat pad it'll shut down. Is it just the battery that I need to replace or the whole thing?

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery out, runs ok

You may want to perform your six month laptop vent cleaning cycle ahead of schedule.

You do do that?
Bob

Collapse -
Uhh...Vent cleaning cycle?
by efagan8210 / April 17, 2012 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a clue.

Never even heard of that. Every so often I'll take a air duster and spray the vents clear, but I've never heard of anything official like a "vent cleaning cycle."

Collapse -
Not official.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 1:50 AM PDT

But we have to call it something. Good to read you do the usual but maybe this machine has reached the day we need to open it up for the deep cleaning.

Example? See this link:
http://icrontic.com/article/clean_laptop_heatsink

Love figure 5 since I've removed so many like that.
Bob

Collapse -
This is too meticulous of Pro. Tech work for a do yourselfer
by LucJPatenaude / April 17, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Not official.

And, will cost you an arm and a leg to get the tools and training to do just that by that person's own time.

That person should just replace that Laptop with a way newer one. Besides, I think that the screws are not holding the trap in a tight and un-moving condition any more. Once lifted from the desk, it gets to jiggle and the illegal internal tampering security feature of Windows automatically gets it to make an emergency ShutDown of the current session. Fan(s) might have stopped(electrical faulty wiring) also. Then, the overheat did force Windows to urgently use its preventive auto-shutdown to safeguard the unit from melting inside parts of it.

As you can see, the extensive use of that unit, bare all kinds of problems not experienced in much newer units. Time went by and, the inevitable happened. Time to purchase a new one and do a data transfer in between HDD.

In today's computers, 1 human year is the equivalent of about 10 years for these IT units. 4 years = 40 years of age + extensive hours of use onto it, could send it all the way to a whopping 6 years equivalence in age(60 years).

Just thought of throwing extra experience like knowledge into the decision making of efagan8210's current situation. Laptop used for work? Then the need for that decision is for today or tomorrow at the latest. If not, well, whenever the time permits.
Wink

Collapse -
That's good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 8:09 AM PDT

And explains why so many dead laptops are able to be brought back to life. This is not PRO WORK. It's basic stuff.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.