PC Hardware forum

General discussion

"POWER FAN IS ABNORMAL" MESSAGE WHEN BOOTING UP

I am running Windows XP_sp2 on a Sony Vaio PCV-RS520 with an Intel P-IV, 3000MHz and 1.5GB memory. Early last year, after booting up, instead of Windows starting up I would get a screen detecting all my drives, etc., and at the bottom was a message noting "POWER FAN IS ABNORMAL! (F2) to Run Setup." I had the fan replaced but about a month later it did it again. This time the technician just went to the BIOS setup utility and clicked on "DEFAULT" and the message stopped. (When this happened the second time, I believe it was shortly after I had reformatted my hard drive.)

This past October, because of a bug in a program, I had to reformat my hard drive again. After doing so, I downloaded and installed all the updates from Sony that I had lost due to reformatting. However, I also downloaded a BIOS update. (I should mention here that I don't know if I had downloaded this BIOS update after reformatting the first time.)But, becuase I couldn't get it boot into Windows after clicking on "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS" in the BIOS SETUP UTILITY, I called the company I have a service contract with who told me that it was caused by my (possibly) re-installing the BIOS update-that it wasn't necessary. But, several other people I have talked to about this tell me I probably wouldn't be able to boot into Windows at all, and/or would have many other types of problems.

I am hoping that someone can give me some idea as to whether I might have caused this and, if so, how I can correct it? Or, if I should just go get another fan installed and see if it goes away.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "POWER FAN IS ABNORMAL" MESSAGE WHEN BOOTING UP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "POWER FAN IS ABNORMAL" MESSAGE WHEN BOOTING UP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your friends are correct...

In reply to: "POWER FAN IS ABNORMAL" MESSAGE WHEN BOOTING UP

if you had bios problem you wouldn't be able to boot into windows at all.

I am not saying this is what is happening to you but I made a very stupid mistake recently when I builted a new computer. I keep getting a error massage about cpu fan temperature; it turned out I connect the thing in the wrong place (they were next to each other).

Collapse -
"POWER FAN IS ABNORMAL" MESSAGE WHEN BOOTING UP

In reply to: Your friends are correct...

Thanks for the feedback! I can boot into Windows, but I have to press the "F1" key first. I was told by one person that the motherboard could be causing the problem. Either way, I either have to get this service company off their butts and check this out, or take it somewhere else to be fixed and bill the service co. for their lack of service!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.