Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Power DVD

by littletoe / March 17, 2004 5:57 AM PST

When trying to run Power DVD, I get the error message
" 80900004 ASPI for windows is not available. Only a 32bit CD ROM driver is supported. Please make sure that a 32 bit CD ROM driver is installed.
Can anyone translate this into English and/or advise how to remedy?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Power DVD. Most likely motherboard drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Power DVD

Microsoft doesn't install motherboard drivers so we get to do that. We also get to enable DMA if need be.

In English, I would find the motherboard drivers for the make/model (you didn't reveal such) and install them.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Power DVD. Most likely motherboard drivers.
by littletoe / March 18, 2004 3:24 AM PST

Bob. That's quite possible as the original motherboard was replaced recently under warranty by Evesham Computer's engineer. Could he have possibly failed to "re-install" correctly the said drivers?. Some info on how I find the data that you mention and where to locate the necessary drivers would be appreciated.If it's not too complicated I'll attempt myself, otherwise call the engineer back. Many ta's for your advice
Gordon

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Power DVD. Most likely motherboard drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2004 4:03 AM PST

I rarely see technicians or even engineers find and install the motherboard drivers if the machine "works." They are under pressure to produce...

I think I hinted I would love to help you find the drivers, but without make/model of the machine (Compaq/dell/other) or if some clone, the make/model of the motherboard, I wouldn't be able to find the drivers...

What can you share?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Power DVD. Most likely motherboard drivers.
by littletoe / March 19, 2004 5:11 AM PST

Bob
Copied the following from Freshdiagnose - please let me know if it's what you need.(I've had to post as 2 messages as too much data to transmit all at once)

Thanks again for your much appreciated assistance.
Motherboard
This module contains information about your motherboard.
Motherboard Information
Motherboard Model 6A6LMM4S
Motherboard Vendor eveshamvale
Chipset Model VIA KT133/A Chipset
BIOS Model Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Vendor Award Software Inc.
BIOS Id 06/07/2001-8361-686B-6A6LMM4SC-00
BIOS Date 06/07/01

System Enclosure or Chassis
Manufacturer eveshamvale
Chassis Type Desktop
Chassis Lock Present No
Boot-up State Unknown
Power Supply State Unknown
Thermal State Unknown
Security Status Unknown

Processor Info (from BIOS)
Socket Designation Slot A
Processor Type Central Processor
Processor Family Specific M1 Version
Manufacturer AMD
Procesor ID 00000631-0183F9FF
Supported Voltage(s) 3.3 Volts
Current Voltage 3.3 Volts
External Clock 100 MHz
Maximum Speed 2000 MHz
Current Speed 800 MHz
Processor Status CPU Socket Populated, Status Enabled
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
L1 Cache Handle $08
L2 Cache Handle $09
L3 Cache Handle NA

Collapse -
Is this a Cyrix M1?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2004 5:19 AM PST

I wish you could reveal more, but a Cyrix M1 is just not going to work at playing DVD.

As to the motherboard drivers, I see another issue is that the BIOS date looks far too old. Update that, then look at http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300 and pick the version for this OS.

It's become clear something is grossly out of date, but I can't tell what yet.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Is this a Cyrix M1?
by littletoe / March 21, 2004 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Is this a Cyrix M1?

Bob
I've no idea what a Cyrix M1 is? but can only add that prior to Eveham Computer engineer changing the motherboard, I was able to play DVD's using Power DVD.But cannot be sure if the Power DVD problem started immediately after the change - so may possibly be just co-incidental! Can still play DVD's now using Windows DVD player, but still getting the said error messages with Power DVD. What is the best way to "update" the Bios? As you can guess, I'm still a bit greenish about all this, but do enjoy dabbling (with expert help,that is)
Gordon

Collapse -
Best way to update the BIOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2004 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Is this a Cyrix M1?

You find the instructions from the motherboard maker and follow them. You may want me to tell you how, but I must refuse since there is no standard way and no "easier" way. Its done per the maker's notes or not done.

Did you install the motherboard drivers?

If not, why not?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Power DVD. Most likely motherboard drivers.
by littletoe / March 19, 2004 5:14 AM PST

Bob
Spec for the CD ROM system

Plug and Play
This module contains information about plug and play devices that are currently known by your system.

Classes: CDROM
Devices: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B
General Information
Device Name SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B
Device ID SAMSUNG_CD-R/RW_SW-408B_B,GenCD,SCSI\SAMSUNG_CD-R/RW_SW-408B_B
Device Class CDROM
Class GUID {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM device)
Driver ID CDROM\0002
Driver Date 06/08/2000

Installer INF MSCDROM.INF
INF Section GenCDInstall

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?