PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power delay in booting up

by pcguyny / June 16, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Good day folks, OK, I am working on a PC that delays in powering up.

The system is a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 & P4 running on XP Pro.

There is a G force 5900 Video card that is failing. The fans do not function and the temperature gets overheated. My multimeter also measured the voltage a little above 5 and 12 volts. The card takes 12 volts and a power error message also displays during the OS boot up.

I advised the client to buy a power supply of 480 W. I installed it and other areas of performance improved.

I eliminated the main components as the problems. I also changed the battery for CMOS.

I took out the video card and put in mine and it worked instantly, but the problem still persisted after a couple of boot ups.

That problem? A delay in booting up.

The case wires work, but it could be a short in electricity from the front case to the motherboard. I cannot get into that part of the case itself.

OK, your turn folks.......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power delay in booting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power delay in booting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By delay in booting
by Steven Haninger / June 16, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

do you mean that it takes too long for the POST to complete or does this part function ok but Windows isn't starting? If it's Windows, the number of variables grows significantly. Where exactly does it hang.

Collapse -
No
by pcguyny / June 16, 2008 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: By delay in booting

"do you mean that it takes too long for the POST to complete or does this part function ok but Windows isn't starting? If it's Windows, the number of variables grows significantly. Where exactly does it hang."

No. The PS aspect is the issue or if a hardware component is causing the power to delay in booting. POST was a good guess.

Collapse -
Something still not clear
by Steven Haninger / June 16, 2008 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: No

You asked what could be causing the power to delay in booting. The total boot process I am referring to is from the time power is applied until the OS is ready to use. The system could hang during the POST or afterwards while loading Windows. Is it during one of these processes? What I am reading is that you might be turning the PC on but but seeing a delay in when power is actually applied. This can only be determined by monitoring the PS voltages as they sequence up. Once present, the POST should begin. If you use a CRT monitor, you may not see evidence of such but maybe hear a beep from the speaker. During the POST, hardware detection is made and compared against what's been stored in the setup. Discrepancies can cause delays. Other delays can be due to waiting for hard drives to spin up...especially if the system is set to automatically configure the drives at each restart. Memory testing takes time. A change in the battery might set the MB to defaults. One of these defaults might be to do the longer memory check.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question but still getting no vision of the sequence of events you are witnessing.

Collapse -
Original threader
by pcguyny / June 16, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

Hi again, thanks for the input. I understand the POST and what is being checked.

The delay I refer is when the power button is pushed in about 5-6 times before actual power. I have to push the power button for 5-6 times before it comes on after I take away the cord. Once the power is on, it reboots in the normal time.

I tried to determine if the video card (which can make a system not function properly) is the cause by changing video cards.

I saw a difference but it still took 5-6 times of pushing in the power button before the system could began the POST.

Once the system loads the POST is fine. I have tried to adjust the BIOS RAM and temperature to see.

Collapse -
Good clue
by Steven Haninger / June 16, 2008 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Original threader

Try pressing and holding the button for a short if you're just giving it a quick push. There are BIOS options as to how to respond to that button. Check them. That's a momentary switch that's just supposed to latch the power supply. They do go bad. you can probably find the MB connector for that switch and test it from there. It will be one of the front panel connections usually all grouped together.

Collapse -
Test it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Unplug USB things.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?