General discussion

Power Continually Switching Between AV and Battery

I have a Gateway laptop Model MX6440. My battery Icon on the lower right flashes on and of, the screen changes brightness at the same rate. I open the battery application via the Icon and I see that it is switching from AC to Battery at the same rate. I first thought it was the battery, bought a new one but it still does it with the new battery. I know my power supply is working and putting out 19V (checked with meter). What is the problem and how do I fix it.

Thank you ahead of time.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Power Continually Switching Between AV and Battery
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Power Continually Switching Between AV and Battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A few common causes.

1. The battery is over 1 year old. This is rough on those the didn't notice the battery supplied with most laptops are rated for 300 cycles. Yes most of us get more than a year.

2. The laptop jack needs repair. This is such a common problem that a small industry specializing in this repair has been created. Google LAPTOP JACK REPAIR to see this small industry.

Good luck,
Bob

- Collapse -
Power Continually Switching Between AV and Battery

Try your meter once more with the power cord, move it to see if it's cut from somewhere. Better to be sure Grin Power cord is much easier to replace than jack.

- Collapse -
Power fluctuation

Suspect the inverter may be intermittent first thing to check.

CNET Forums