HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Power Conditioner Advice

by Bholt2 / February 16, 2008 1:09 AM PST

I'm building a new home theater setup and want to add a power conditioner, but I can't find any good reviews on which are best. With so many brands out there from monster to belkin pure, I hoping someone has some recommendations. I'll be hooking it up to a kuro plasma, HD cable, Sony receiver, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, and JBL sub. Looking for any good advice, I appreciate the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Conditioner Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Conditioner Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Again, this is a can of worms topic that has gone around
by NM_Bill / February 16, 2008 10:56 AM PST

this forum more than once.

Our moderator stated it is a sometimes thing. Some electricity/electronics knowledgable folks here say it is baloney & a non-issue as none is needed under ordinary circumtances.

First, let me say no one is against a decent surge protector as a necessity.

In my experience, hooking my first big screen seemed disappointing. I had used a perfectly good Belkin surge protector. The cable guy quickly bypassed that to show the surge unit was introducing crap into the signal. Any surge protector used for a A/V needs to be specifically labled as made for A/V use.

I went the line protector route & do not regret it at all. Posters here had called me just psychologically swanting to see things, but I stand by my guns. There are a few brands that are apparently just fine. Under the premise of you get what you pay for, those around 200 bucks or a bit more have been reported as fine. Though I am not a believer in Monster Brand overly expensive cables, I have one of their line conditioners & again say it satisfies compeletly.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Bholt2 / February 16, 2008 2:15 PM PST

Thanks for the response, I should have put my price range in the first note. I'm looking to spend 300-600 type range, I believe bestbuy has a new real slim monster one for about 400, so I guess that's my best bet unless anyone has other ideas. Thanks

Collapse -
You might consider. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 16, 2008 8:39 PM PST

a UPS. I have one on my Sony 55" SXRD. Mainly in case of a power failure I can turn the TV off and the UPS will supply power for the cooling fan to continue to work until it normally shuts off. As a side benefit a UPS will provide a near perfect sine wave since it comes from a battery.

And, grin, I'm the one he's talking about that poo-poo'd the line conditioners.

Collapse -
cory
by jostenmeat / February 17, 2008 3:20 AM PST

what UPS devices would you recommend? If certain price-point needed, maybe a couple of different recs? Thanks.

I also am not a fan of Monster-Priced cabling, but I like the power centers a lot. I just bought another one, and again, from Amazon. I have yet to pay over $200 for one, and they are component, rack-mountable. My first is the same as Bill's, and that was for a steal at $130, an HTS-3600 mk ii was it? can't remember, maybe 3500 mk ii. Monster warranty is still good thru amazon.

Collapse -
All my UPSs. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 17, 2008 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: cory

are Belkin. I have a 900 VA on my main PC, a 500 on my server, and a 500 on my Sony TV. The only thing I don't like is the alarm that goes off when you loose power. But if you open it up, a strategically placed screwdriver blade will silence the little pizo speaker.

Collapse -
cory
by jostenmeat / February 18, 2008 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: All my UPSs. . .

Thanks! I just ordered a few of em. 1 for HT, 2 for computer systems. Even the high-end digital projector folks at AVS are recommending these (although a couple go completely nuts, with other stuff in-line).

I won't mind the alarm... I think. Least I know when Im supposed to shut stuff down.... I only care for cooling down lamp for the HT rig. I probably won't even bother pluggin anything else in for the HT setup.

Thanks Bill for spelling it out to the well-intentioned, slightly-misdirected fellow.

macattack, it seems there are many knowledgable folks who do not agree with you. Also, my killer sub is much better known for car audio, its a JL and the woofer it uses is rather identical to the W7 driver seen in cars (7 patents Cool ). But thanks anyways, I do think think what you say is still educational however... Happy

Collapse -
Consider a monster that says T2 protection
by macattack1380 / February 17, 2008 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: cory

Any monster conditioner that states T2 protection does essentially the same job as a UPS - what T2 does is when the voltage coming in to the unit is sensed at a 'not safe' level it will automatically shut itself off - much like the MP HTS 2000 (bestbuy about $300 in the plastic shell packaging) but the ones that have the digits on the front and come in an actual box are loaded with T2 - T2 also does not allow the user to turn the equipment back on until the power has been regulated - thus protecting your equipment from any unwanted damage just from an abrupt shut off then premature powering back up (the model of the best power at retail level aka at local best buys would be the MP HDP 240) if you don't want to spend that much at least get the MP HTS 1600 which has a basic auto shutoff)

If you do get a UPS make sure it is A/V oriented and not a basic computer UPS, they will work but its like using a Car sub for your home theater low end...just not meant to be

Collapse -
Perhaps that is not addressing the appropriate problem.
by NM_Bill / February 17, 2008 1:06 PM PST

The UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) is for power interruptions & then it has some battery backup that allows sensitive equipment (like fans for hot lamps) time to cycle down without abrupt shut off. That helps provide longer life for some sensitive equipment.

Yes, power conditioners do have a duty, pretty much by definition, to sense overly high or low voltage & perhaps mitigate that situatioin by smoothing things out.

Having some degree of abattery backup is a different function.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.