Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Power button doesn't work. Turn on pc?

by jdgreen92086 / June 15, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

How do I turn on my pc without a power button? I can press it repeatedly but it will not turn on. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard if you need to know and the case is a Cooler Master Centurion from around 5-6 years ago.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Replace the power button
by white-bread / June 15, 2009 4:06 PM PDT

Apologies for being obvious; but, you need to install a switch of some sort.

Collapse -
o rly
by jdgreen92086 / June 16, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

Never would have guessed that!

Collapse -
Let's try...
by Willy / June 15, 2009 11:21 PM PDT

Open case and reseat the "power harness" several times. Follow the power sw. wiring/harness to locate it. If that doesn't fix it, replace power button if you can find one for that case. Otherwise, visit Radio Smack, locate a "momentary button sw." or N/O type(normally open), you may need to drill hole to attach or long wiring to route it, use common sense here.

The real test to see if its a sw. problem, locate where it plugs in at. Those pins can be "shorted" for a moment and it should power On/Off the system, use care and small screwdriver or metal contact.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!