Speakeasy forum

General discussion

POV - The cult down the block is having a big big pow-wow today.

by crowsfoot / April 17, 2004 8:35 AM PDT

Actually, they may be fine peps, I don't know. There's cars parked everywhere. They're all lilly-white (I'm guessing Southern Baptists) with not an "ethnic" face anywhere. The only real clue I have about their beliefs is the knife and sword collection they were trying to sell at their last garage sale, (two or three hundred!) and the hooded, camo, burka-looking shawls on the cloths line out back sometimes. Hunters or haters? Or a little of both? One thing for sure, they're (content or dis) minions of one of Jesus' self-appointed interpreters and I'm sure they're busy keeping America safe from something, and safe FOR something.
"... and pass the ammo!"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: POV - The cult down the block is having a big big pow-wow today.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: POV - The cult down the block is having a big big pow-wow today.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The cult?
by Kiddpeat / April 17, 2004 12:28 PM PDT

You're a broadminded guy aren't you?! 'Actually, they may be fine peps, I don't know'; you don't know a thing about them or their beliefs, and you feel free to disparage them? Why don't you ask what they think? Why don't you discuss their reasons with them? Nah! It's probably easier to skip the formalities, and get right to the fun.

Collapse -
Re:The cult?
by Glenda / April 17, 2004 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: The cult?

Being a Southern Baptist, I found this post highly insulting! Sorry Bob, But you really should have thought this one over before you posted it:(
Glenda

Collapse -
Re:The cult?
by Diana Forum moderator / April 18, 2004 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:The cult?

I, too, am Southern Baptist and this is mild compared to some of the comments others have made (not on this forum).

I think we will survive considering that, at last count, there were 16.3 million of us in the US. We are also the largest Protestant demonination in the world.

I've missed out on most of the forums today because I was in church until 2 and then I was updating our website and am on my way out the door to go back for evening service. We don't have time to hang out down the block.

Collapse -
Thank you Diana!
by Glenda / April 18, 2004 7:53 AM PDT

I just don't appreciate being called part of a cult! This post was in very bad taste! But I guess not everyone knows what that is!:(
Glenda

Collapse -
Till 2?! Long winded preacher? Next time hire one that smokes, LOL!
by James Denison / April 18, 2004 2:35 PM PDT

Don't you just love it, the babies are screaming, people are squirming, watches are being consulted, the limber are checking out the clock at the rear to see if it stopped, the old folks are drooping more, and finally it seems the dryest sermon that year, running a bit long is about to end.....then he says, "I have only a few more points to make before...."

Collapse -
Wasn't quite like that James ;-)
by Diana Forum moderator / April 19, 2004 1:55 PM PDT

After service we had lunch and a meeting on what kind of mission work we will be doing this summer and how to implement it. The kids run between the meeting and the nursery. Love the little ones.

Collapse -
Diana
by Angeline Booher / April 19, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

Hi, Diana,

You just exemplified what I have long believed. Our Church tenets are often judged by others as to how we conduct ourselves, treat people, and what we say.

All groups are open to criticism, but you do not feel threatened by it. Conversely, you see the strengths of yours.

",,, the gates of hell shall not prevail against it..." keeps running through my mind.

Thank you for your meaningful comments.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:POV - The cult down the block is having a big big pow-wow today.
by Mary Kay / April 17, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

Well as long as their sheets remain on the clothes line and not over their heads, I wouldn't worry. They've probably posted somewhere about the strange family down the street from them.

Collapse -
:) That's what I'm saying. Hi, Mary Kay. - (NT)

Collapse -
OK Bob
by Evie / April 18, 2004 4:30 AM PDT

You posted a reply to MK at 11:00 AM SE-time

You posted a reply in another thread at 11:18 AM.

I think you owe some apologies before moving on, and assume you have read the rest of this thread. Not me, but Glenda, and you could at least reply to Kidd's concerns.

Evie Sad

Collapse -
Personally, I think....
by Glenda / April 18, 2004 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: OK Bob

this post should be pulled if Bob doesn't apologize! I am really pissed!

Collapse -
Pretty amazing it stands ...
by Evie / April 18, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

... especially since Bob has not availed himself of the opportunity to clear up his intents Sad

Collapse -
Re: Personally, I think.... See my reply at link
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 18, 2004 6:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Great!
by Glenda / April 18, 2004 7:49 AM PDT

So I guess that means we can all insult each others religion and no need to worry! BTW I believe I saw the Pope wearing a white sheet! Sound familiar?
Sheesh! I am still insulted and no where did I DEMAND The post be pulled I said It was an insult and still think it is!
Glenda

Collapse -
Are you sure about that?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 18, 2004 6:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Great!
Collapse -
Butt out Charlie
by Glenda / April 19, 2004 12:50 AM PDT

your tactics are not going to work! No fight! Doesn't that just spoil your whole day?
Glenda

Collapse -
NT - LOL!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 19, 2004 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Butt out Charlie

^^

Collapse -
Yes she is Charlie. Where did YOU see any DEMAND?
by Edward ODaniel / April 20, 2004 4:49 AM PDT

or are you having reading problems again?

Collapse -
Re:Personally, I think....
by crowsfoot / April 18, 2004 3:25 PM PDT

Hi Glenda,
I am. I'm sorry, but hey. I shouldn't have named one particular church or belief. And I certainly don't mean to say that any are more wronger than any others. Mine included.

There is a price to be paid for inaccuracy. Big inaccuracy, big price.

That's just who I am. I've had my say and I'm through. Please forgive me.

Collapse -
Thank you, Bob......
by Glenda / April 18, 2004 4:03 PM PDT

I agree, you should never say something that singles out any single religion. Thank you very much for the apology, I accept.
I would just like you to know that Christians are not what you were describing. We don't act that way, and just because some act wrong doesn't mean they are Christians, no matter what they call themselves. Be it Southern Baptist or Catholic or any other denomination.
I had the biggest problem being called a cult:( Christians do not worship the preacher or leader of any Church, That position is held for Christ! OK Now I had my say. Thank you, Not perfect, but Forgiven:)
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) - Not perfect? ;-) Point taken. Thanks, buddy.
by crowsfoot / April 18, 2004 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, Bob......

Collapse -
Re:(NT) - Not perfect? ;-) Point taken. Thanks, buddy. LOL Bob........
by Glenda / April 19, 2004 12:52 AM PDT

That is a saying we use as Christians , we are not perfect, Just forgiven:) That was about me not you! Sorry if I didn't make that clear:(
Glenda

Collapse -
Holy Moses!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 18, 2004 6:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, Bob......
"I agree, you should never say something that singles out any single religion." - Glenda.
(The undelining is mine!)

What happened? I actually agree with you in this case. And I am sure you really include ALL religions...
Collapse -
Charlie. I have been thinking on this since you posted! And........
by Glenda / April 21, 2004 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Holy Moses!

And I wonder if your implication is that I was not being honest about what I said? Like you did with Evie?
If I understand you correctly, then you can relax! I meant EXACTLY what I said! I am not in the habit of mincing words! Now if you wonder do I agree with all religions the answer is No I don't!

And I am sure you really include ALL religions...
Glenda

Collapse -
I was simply surprised...

that you would say that you don't think one should single out any religion at all. I agree with you! That's all...
I don't agree with ANY religion at all, but I definitely respect them all (the major religions that is) and their followers too. At least I would never dislike somebody because of religious reasons.

Collapse -
See, You have no idea what I think!
by Glenda / April 22, 2004 11:13 AM PDT

So just maybe you have been wrong with a lot of your assumptions.
Glenda

Collapse -
Oh...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 22, 2004 5:07 PM PDT

So it couldn't possibly be that you haven't expressed yourself properly or that you change opinions as it goes in order to fit the discussion?

Collapse -
Re:Oh...
by Glenda / April 23, 2004 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh...

When I have something to add I express myself too clearly! Which always gets your feathers in an uproar!
Never have changed my thoughts on anything! I just haven't felt my beliefs are any of your business! In private emails I express exactly what I feel!
Glenda

Collapse -
Re::) Sorry Bob
by Mary Kay / April 18, 2004 10:29 PM PDT

I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I guess I was just surprised. And as far as you apologizing for your writing skill... DON"T. You do just fine. We have all expressed ourselves in ways that were not what we intended. You are now officially a member in good standing..... now that you've been raked over the coals. Been there done that.

Collapse -
Tell me Bob ...
by Evie / April 17, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

... do you take note of gatherings where there is not a white face in the crowd?

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?