Samsung forum

General discussion

potentially embarrassing situation

by glab2008 / October 27, 2014 7:52 PM PDT

Hi, I'm in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate any help or advice. Over the last week I was staying at my girlfriends house. While she was out with friends one night, I plugged my usb stick into her smart tv (its a samsung, not sure of the model) to look at some adult pics and videos. When I unplugged the usb I noticed that something called allshare had saved some preview thumbnails of files I'd viewed in something called "recently played". I managed to delete these thumbnails, even though I could only do this 1 by 1.
I am now worried the tv might have saved them elsewhere. Any help with my questions world be great
1. will files viewed on a usb stick appear in the viewed history? even if I've deleted them from allshares recently played list
2. If they do will they appear as thumbnails like they do in allshare?
3.if they do will they be replaced in the history when other videos and pictures are viewed offline and on, eg watching tv or youtube
thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: potentially embarrassing situation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: potentially embarrassing situation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: embarassing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 27, 2014 8:33 PM PDT

That might depend on the TV. So the best you can do is have a good look yourself.

If you find something embarrassing, either tell your girlfriend or 'accidentally' smash the TV on the ground. "So sorry, darling, totally my fault, of course I'll buy you a new one. Let's go and choose it tomorrow. Or do you think it's better to wait for Black Friday? Let's start looking at the CNET reviews to see what's hot at the moment."

Kees

Collapse -
re re embarrassing
by glab2008 / October 27, 2014 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: embarassing

Thanks for your speedy reply Kees B. I do not have accessto the tv to look myself. We live 20 miles apart and only usually meet,up at the weekends. If I did and found something embarrassing I could just delete it myself. There wouldn't be any need to confess or smash up her tv. I only found out about viewing history after I got home and did some research online.
Forgive my ignorance but do samsung smart tvs have a stanhdard way of recording its history? do files viewed offline ie usb stick, usually appear on viewed history? does this history usually get replaced by other things viewed online? ie youtube, Facebook. Do files viewed on a usb stick when removed usually appear in viewed history as thumbnails. Thanks again.

Collapse -
All the smart tv makers are being less than forthcoming
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 1:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
re embarrassing situation
by glab2008 / October 28, 2014 8:04 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply R Proffit. I'm not sure if people are reading my questions properly. I wanted to know if using a usb stick in a samsung smart tv would show up in viewing history, even if the usb is unplugged. There were other questions too but I won't write them a third time! I don't think I need to smash up the tv, or master reset anything and I'm not concerned about LG spying on me. A simple history delete would suffice, but as I say I don't have access to the tv. I guess I need to think of a new plan.

Collapse -
OK, simply yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 8:35 AM PDT

There is no simple history delete as you would do on a PC. (these smart TVs are not PCs and the makers are re-learning all the PC lessons.)
BOb

Collapse -
bob
by glab2008 / October 28, 2014 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: OK, simply yes.

bob, I'm not sure why you're telling me there's no way to delete history when I've seen you on cnet boards discussing this very issue. menu> smart features> clear viewing history. ring any bells? no offence but I'm wasting my time here.

Collapse -
Back to the reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: bob

The resets do clear such off. There's also 1800SAMSUNG in the USA if you want to ask if there are other ways.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?