Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Post SP2 Service Packs, Hotfixes, etc. on CD?

Dell Dimension 8200, 512MB RAM, Intel Pentium 4 2Gig, Phoenix BIOS, chipset i850, Dell Intel-based motherboard, Dell 1702FP LCD, Windows XP SP2, and I know I've forgotten something important.

I haven't done a clean install for quite awhile now. I'm having no problems, but, given everything I've read about clean installs being good for XP, I'd like to do one.

I have my original XP installation CD, SP2 on CD, and AVG Pro on CD.

Problem: There have been a zillion updates, patches, etc. to XP SP2 and AVG Pro. I'll have to disconnect from our cable internet connection to avoid virus problems during the install -- but I can get only so far, ie: SP2, AVG Pro.Then, I'll have to reconnect to our cable to get all the additional updates, etc., and it seems like I'm leaving a large hole for all kinds of disaster.

Is there any way I can put all the post-SP2 updates, hotfixes, etc. on a CD, and then be able to install them while I'm offline? Or, can I order a CD of same? I guess I should ask AVG the same question regarding their program.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. By the way: I've found a couple sites that explain how to slipstream loads of updates onto an installation CD, but I'm not advanced enough to comprehend. Is there an easy way?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Post SP2 Service Packs, Hotfixes, etc. on CD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Post SP2 Service Packs, Hotfixes, etc. on CD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm sure there is

In reply to: Post SP2 Service Packs, Hotfixes, etc. on CD?

Hi jco.

I'm sure there is a way to bundle the hotfixes, post-SP2 updates, etc to a CD before you re-install, but is it really necessary?

I have two questions for you;

1] Do you use a firewall ''Other'' than Windows Firewall, (or Internet Firewall for pre-SP2 XP)?

2] Why re-install the OS if everything is fine?

I don't really expect an answer to question 2, if you want to do so, even if your system is working fine, then that's your choice of course.

But question 1? If you have a 3rd party firewall, (eg ZoneAlarm, Sygate, etc), then by disconnecting your cable connection, doing all of the re-install, and then re-installing the firewall so it is up and running before re-connecting to your cable connection is all you need.

It isn't viruses that attack an un-firewalled computer, it is hackers who recognise one, and send malware to it. So all you have to do is protect the computer by a firewall, then when you re-connect the cable ISP, you will be safe to re-visit Microsoft's web site for all the updates, and re-install AVG Pro and re-download all AVG's updates.

With a cable connection you may find it easier to let Microsoft and AVG decide which updates you need, rather that working through all the folders on your system for updates.

The key to re-installing, (and I have never done it on my 4 yr old XP), is preparation. Save everything that is important, eg documents, photos, videos, music, email settings, passwords, etc.

Do you still have all the program disks for programs you have installed yourself? Or did you save the downloaded installation/self-extraction files if you downloaded them?

Do you still have the ISP installation/setup disk? Is the ISP installation procedure the same now as it was when you originally set it up? (A phone call to your ISP telling them your intentions may be useful). My own ISP installation disk is now out of date and I would struggle to get my ISP back without calling up their tech people.

Other people here will, I'm sure tell, you which and how to save any hotfixes etc onto CD.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Oh, good. Maybe I've been overly concerned..

In reply to: I'm sure there is

Thank-you, Mark. I literally didn't realize how much a firewall does. Also, the only reason I'm thinking about a clean install is because I had read so many places that it's good for the OS and/or computer, especially when running XP. But now I'm leaning another way. After a lot of experimentation, I've settled on CCleaner, RegSeeker, and DeFragMentor Lite, as well as the XP tools, to keep everything clean and defragmented. So maybe I shouldn't worry about another install. Thanks again.

Collapse -
I think that's wise

In reply to: Oh, good. Maybe I've been overly concerned..

CCleaner is a very good utility, but I don't know about RegSeeker or DeFragMentor Lite. Be careful with Registry Cleaners. If the one you have got is well known, and offered for download by other sites, (eg http://www.download.com), then it is probably OK. Sometimes poor Registry Cleaners can cause more problems than there were before.

XP is a much more robust version of Windows than were 9x or ME. It is, in the main, able to self-heal, and dubious or orphan registry entries do not push it over the edge like they did on previous versions of Windows.

So, although I have a Registry Cleaner myself, I find I only have to use it sparingly.

Your regime you propose seems good to me.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
Another thank-you

In reply to: I think that's wise

Thanks again, Mark. I've messed myself up in the past by using registry cleaners -- thankfully, not beyond recovery. I mainly use RegSeeker to find specific registry entries, that always get left behind when I uninstall a program. From my point of view (altho I'm no expert) RegSeeker does a good job. Actually, I wasn't looking forward to another clean install, and I've decided against it. Your response is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
P.S. to my last post

In reply to: Oh, good. Maybe I've been overly concerned..

DeFragMentor Lite is a freeware program that can be used to defragment specific files and folders. Since I do a lot of photo editing and graphic stuff, I end up with a lot of fragmentation, but with DeFragMentor Lite I can defrag as soon as I've finished working on a project. I also use the XP disk defragmentor, about twice a month. The best to you.

Collapse -
I see

In reply to: P.S. to my last post

The DeFragMentor Lite sounds a good utility.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Post SP2 Service Packs, Hotfixes, etc. on CD?

You can either download the standalone installers for each individual update and put those on a CD, or you can use the installers to create a slipstreamed install CD. So that when Windows is installed, all of those updates are applied at the same time.

Google or any other search engine should be able to dredge up info on how to do either.

Collapse -
to thought_stazi

In reply to: Yes

Thank you for your response. I'll do some more research while I try to make up my mind.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.