HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

possibly want to uninstall and reinstall windows xp

by gfox06 / May 7, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

I have a Dell with Windows XP Home edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1. It has an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz with 256 MB of RAM. It has a 40 GB hard drive.
I was given this pc by my sister and she can not remember if it came with a Windows XP disk or not and I am not aware of how to know if what I need is in my hard drive or not.
I tried updating to service pack 2 today from microsoft update. When I go to Microsoft update I get the following error code:

[Error number: 0x800B0001]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

I also received an error earlier today that said the computer could not access my active x controls because of security settings. I checked the settings and none of them are changed from their default settings.

There is a lot of things on the pc that I do not need an had planned on just getting rid of them with the add/remove program but so many things need fixed and I have no idea where to start or how to know what is causing what. I thought if I could just clean the computer out completely and start over fresh with nothing but the basics I could reinstall the few programs I do use (spybot, adaware, antivirus, etc.) I know that some pc's today do not come with a cd for windows anymore so I am not sure how to even know if that is the case with mine or how to find it and use it. Also the cd rom is not working either.

I am able to connect to our home wireless network through a cat5 cable. My home network and internet is working great and the computer is not slow but I don't know what else to do.
What is a Hijack this log and how does it help? Is that something I need to get so someone here can see what is wrong with my pc?
I know this is a lot of info.. Thank you in advance for your help.
gfox06

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: possibly want to uninstall and reinstall windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: possibly want to uninstall and reinstall windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lots Of Questions There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

First, the model number of your Dell would be helpful.. The Dell website should contain information about how to create REcovery CD's IF that option is available.. If it's not, then I recommend contacting Dell and getting those Recovery discs.. If you don't have them, your dead in the water if the computer goes down.

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup

Next,instead of installing Service Pack 2 while only, please try it this way. Download the full SP2 installer from the link below, then save it to your desktop. (You'll need a broadband connection to download the file because it's fairly large, about 266 MB.) Next, if you've got a CD burner, burn a copy of the file to the CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

When you're done, then follow the steps in the link below to prepare the machine for SP2.. A few cleanup and installation instructions..

Preparing Your Windows XP Computer For SP2

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
cdrom is not working either
by gfox06 / May 7, 2007 3:24 AM PDT

the cd rom is not working in it either. the model # of my Dell is:
DIM 4400

Thank you for the SP2 advice. Have any idea why I would be getting the error about my security settings affecting my active x controls?

Collapse -
Security Settings For ActiveX
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

It's an Internet Explorer problem.. Either the settings are too high or IE is broken.. Try: With Internet Explorer open, click on "Tools", select "Internet Options", then click on the "SEcurity" tab, then click once on the "Internet Explorer" icon (the world globe), then click on the "Custom Level" button.. When that opens, make sure the "Reset to" line says: "Medium", then click the "Reset" button. Choose "Yes/OK", when it asks: "Are You Sure?". Now click on OK, Apply, etc. Close the Internet Options window and hopefully you won't get the error again.

As to the CD-Rom, fix it.. It will be one of the only ways to reinstall Windows from either Recovery discs or a new XP disc... It requires a disk reader. Personally, if you've got to get a new one because the old one doesn't function, try one of the new DVD+/-RW drives. You could then burn DVDs AND CDs.
_________

As to the Recovery ability of your computer, check the links below to see if you have PC Restore by Symantec installed. You just might..:

How do I use the Dell? PC Restore by Symantec Utility?

Or....

Request Backup Discs

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.