Mac OS forum

General discussion

Possible to upgrade from OS X-Panther to OS X-Leopard?

by rccoffee / June 15, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

About a month after I purchased my Mac with Panther, Apple came out with Tiger. I didn't qualify for a free upgrade and I couldn't afford the $129.00, so I stayed with Panther which was included.

Now, I read somewhere that Apple is thinking of only offering updates to two OSes; which will shortly be Tiger and Leopard.

If so, can I upgrade from Panther to Leopard without having Tiger installed?

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible to upgrade from OS X-Panther to OS X-Leopard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible to upgrade from OS X-Panther to OS X-Leopard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You forgot one detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 9:27 PM PDT

What machine do you have.

But outside of any machine issues, you can skip forward.


Collapse -
I think you misunderstand.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

The previous OS for the Mac was OS X (10.3.x)(Panther)

The current OS for the Mac is OS X (10.4.x)(Tiger)

The next OS to be released will be OS X (10.5)(Leopard).

Tiger was NOT an update of Panther and Leopard is NOT an update of Tiger. All are stand alone operating systems for the Mac.
When Leopard is released it will replace, not update, Tiger. If your current computer meets the machine specifications for Leopard, you can install Leopard on your computer regardless of what OS you are currently running.

The only thing that governs whether you can install Leopard or not, is you computers ability to run it.

Hope this helps


Collapse -
computer specifications..
by kafeepot / June 16, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

what kind of computer specs will be needed to run leopard? any idea?

this is a MBP C2D...with so much graphical eye candy stuff in leopard...will the MBP C2D (with ATY,Radeon 1600-i hope i got that right!) be able to handle it?


Collapse -
MBP C2D = Not an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 12:30 AM PDT

Enjoy... This OS is going to drop a few older machines but until it's out it's best to wait until then to start worrying about it.


Collapse -
by andrenapster / August 5, 2007 9:17 AM PDT

I'm About to buy a Macbook , So Will I have to buy it with the leopard Os Or can I buy it with the tiger version and then update it ((Is the leopard Os out yet ??? ))

please any one who knows about this please help ..

Thanx ,,,

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 5, 2007 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

If you buy your MacBook now, it will come with Tiger (10.4) installed.

Leopard (10.5) is due for release in October


Collapse -
by png168 / August 15, 2007 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: MacBook

should i buy a macbook now then?

Collapse -
(NT) Do you need it now or can you wait 2 months?
by grimgraphix / August 15, 2007 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: wait
Collapse -
im gonna go to college in a month
by png168 / August 15, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

my school starts in late september so i dont know if i need it now?

Collapse -
Unless your college courses require one...
by tleMega / August 15, 2007 11:49 AM PDT

You may not need to buy it just yet.

You said that you're going to college in late September, and Leopard releases in October. There would be no point in paying extra to get Leopard two weeks later or so, so I would say no.

But if you need it, go ahead. Macs are great and it's easy to upgrade the system. I got my MBP a month before they released the updated '07 versions, but I needed mine. I don't regret it either.

Explain what you need it for or just use an old laptop for a few days in class until the new system is released. That may be your best bet.

Hope you get what you need.

Collapse -
by png168 / August 15, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

ya thats true...i dont think ill need it for the first month, so i guess ill wait for the leopard to come out. but will the macbook with the leopard system cost more?

Collapse -
Will it cost more?
by grimgraphix / August 15, 2007 4:48 PM PDT
In reply to: true

Most likely, not. Apple has a habit of sticking to a certain price point for their products. They do have a profit margin built into that price point and because they have no competitors (there is only one apple) they keep the price in a predictable range. They upgrade equipment and software features while staying at the same price.

Collapse -
leopard boot camp
by png168 / August 16, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Will it cost more?

i heard that the leopard will come equipped with boot camp, but will the bootcamp be like the old one where you have to turn off one os to get the the other?

Collapse -
Boot Camp...
by tleMega / August 16, 2007 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Will it cost more?

will probably be a better version of the beta version that is still currently available.

You'll have to restart into Windows or OS X to switch. That's the whole point. Parallels and Fusion were created to allow them to run side by side, so if Boot Camp was made to run like that, they'd put Parallels and VMWare out of the Mac business.

Besides, all three of these Windows/Mac options all have their advantages. Fusion lets you run Windows apps inside OS X, like Crossover Mac by CodeWeavers. Parallels lets you run Windows inside a window undr OS X, but keeps them separate. Parallels also uses a partition of the Boot Camp software, so you have less to install if you use both of those. Boot Camp keeps everything separate.

This won't make anything cost more or less, unless you buy Fusion, Parallels, or Crossover.
If you're on a budget and don't care for restarting your Mac to run Windows, then use Boot Camp. If you want to use both OS's together, then choose your pick of the crop.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by andrenapster / August 18, 2007 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Will it cost more?

So .. Do you guarantee that if i bought the macbook in october I will have the leoperd with It ?!! not the tiger ?

I mean because in the early october the old notebooks will be still there and i may not find a new one with leoperd ....

Another ques .

Will it release on 1st october or What ???

Thanx anyway ,,

Collapse -
Do I guarantee????
by grimgraphix / August 18, 2007 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Will it cost more?

Apple has announced the scheduled release of their new operating system in October. You can do a google search if you doubt me. Is their announcement of an intended release date a "guarantee"? Of course not.

In the past, apple has given, free of charge, the upgraded OS to anyone who purchased a mac within 30 days of the release of a new OS. They send it to you in the mail if you can show proof of purchase. They may continue to do this or they may not. What happened in the past was, if you bought a computer 31 days previous to the new release? You were out of luck and paid for the upgrade like anyone else. Previous price for upgrade was $129.00 USD... cheaper if you are a student or educator who can show proof of enrollment.

I can only tell you what has happened... not what will happen. Hell, an asteroid could hit the Earth before October. Now I'm not making any guarantees there either, but I am typing this from a secret location in the mountains with a hundred feet of solid rock over my head and enough food to feed me and the several teen age super models I have selected to help me repopulate the Earth.

Confused Do I guarantee? Confused


Collapse -
An asteroid?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 18, 2007 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Will it cost more?

Do you Guarantee that?
Should I get my insurance up to date?

You know, that really pees me off. I just spent all day, in the blazing sun, mowing the yard just to make it look good for an Asteroid!!???!!

That's it! No more grass mowing until Tiger is released, or escapes


Collapse -
Leopard and MacBooks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 18, 2007 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

Leopard will be released, if on time, in October.
Your guess on a date in October is as good as anyone else's. It could be any number between 1 and 31.

Once it is released, the Apple store will start shipping their current computer line, all of them, with Leopard installed. These machines will not necessarily be any different to the machines that are on sale now.

Ain't nobody on this forum who will guarantee you anything about release dates, shipping dates or dates when Leopard will be on shipping computers.


Collapse -
October - release of the Leopard & end of the college sale
by Ck87.JF / September 3, 2007 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Leopard and MacBooks

Currently, there's a sale going on for college students - get a "free" ($200 rebate) iPod with purchase of a mac computer. That sale ends in October, if I remember correctly.

Leopard is going to be released sometime in October, and after that date, most likely all the new computers will have it installed.

I guess the question is ... do you want an iPod or the updated OSX? Probably, you can't get both, am I correct? After all, most likely those dates will occur very close together, or the Leopard release will happen after the sale is over.

Collapse -
want to switch to Leopard from Panther
by Larry ODonoghue / December 11, 2007 2:40 PM PST

Tried to do this and got warning "need 10.4". Have a G5 with 10.3.9, enough ram and processing speed. Do I need to buy Tiger before I can install Leopard? CPU is 1.8 Ghz. 1.25 GB memory

Collapse -
Try this:
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 10:05 PM PST

Boot from the Installation disk if this is a full version of the installer.

OS X 10.4 is not required for the installation of Leopard

I have heard of this problem before but have not seen the definitive solution to the problem


Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 10:15 PM PST

You should make your own new post. This one is getting long.

Collapse -
G4 Mac OS X 10.3.9 possible to upgradeTiger, or Leopard?
by Laura Janet Duncan / December 21, 2009 3:56 AM PST

What to do, is upgrade possible from 10.3.9 to Leopard, or do I have to upgrade to Tiger first?

Collapse -
(NT) you can go straight to Leopard
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 21, 2009 4:52 AM PST
Collapse -
converting from OS X 10.3.9 to OS X 10.4
by rodneym140 / April 8, 2010 12:59 PM PDT

I recognize that I need to move up in the world. But I would like to keep my mac Power Book G4 as a useful book. Firefox, and now uTube keep telling me that my os is no longer supported. So would like to update to 10.4 and keep it as a backup machine whilst I buy a new mac with Snow Leopard et al. Are there reasons why this is not a good idea??? And if not, how do I do this, since the 10.4 update is no longer available from Apple.

Collapse -
Places like ebay or Amazon
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 9:59 PM PDT

still have copies of OS X 10.4 available, for a price.

It's not a bad idea, you should have done it years ago with that PB G4


Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?