Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Possible to Add Custom System Events ???

by Candoo / May 18, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

Would anyone know if it's possible to add your own custom system event with a sound, and if so, how? As an example in system sounds, can you add an event such as when a particular program starts, and assign a sound to it? Some programs add themselves automatically, but many don't, and I would like to set up a few myself.

TIA .. Candoo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible to Add Custom System Events ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible to Add Custom System Events ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible to Add Custom System Events ???
by Candoo / May 18, 2005 11:14 AM PDT

Forgot to mention I am using XP home

Collapse -
Yes
by AussiePete / May 18, 2005 12:14 PM PDT

Go to help and support and type the following in the sear box:-
Assign sounds to program events
Have fun!
Peter

Collapse -
Yes, go to sounds and audio devices in the control panel
by glb613 / May 18, 2005 7:59 PM PDT

Find the event, click on browse and pick the sound you want.

Collapse -
Sound Events
by billzhills / May 18, 2005 11:30 PM PDT

With an audio editing application you can create your own sounds.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / May 19, 2005 3:23 AM PDT
As an example in system sounds, can you add an event such as when a particular program starts, and assign a sound to it? Some programs add themselves automatically, but many don't, and I would like to set up a few myself.

If you can ascertain what the program name is which has enough ''ump'' to cause a reaction and XP has the same configuration in the system registry as follows:

Determine the exact name of a file you want a WAV associated with. For example, maybe you'd like to have a certain sound when Dial-Up Networking is started.

Click Start | Run | type in Regedit and press enter. Click on the plus (+) before each of the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps

a. Click on the Apps key. Click Edit | New | Key and name your entry Tapiexe (starts when the DUN context menu comes up). You can see this approach in the keys already there.

b. Highlight the ''new key'' name and add a key under \Tapiexe called ''open'' and another ''close'', w/o the quotes. Then add the key ''.Current'' to both the ''open'' and ''close'', also w/o the quotes.

Note: See some of the other entries to continue with the rest of this procedure making your entries compatible with those already there.

c. Go to the Control Panel Sounds and pick the ''open'' and ''close'' WAV file you'd like when DUN is started.

Note: Because of the way Windows closes Rnaapp however, the Tapiexe file will also remain active in the system for as long as fifteen minutes after a DUN connection is closed. You can see that Rnaappe remains open by using the Ctrl-Alt-Del key to check active items in the ''Close Programs'' window.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!