Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Possible pope link to nun's death

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible pope link to nun's death
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible pope link to nun's death
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I hate to say it, but....

In reply to: When will people wake up?

it's looking more and more like the conventional wisdom that the terrorists are only a radical fringe element of Islam. It seems likely that PEACEFUL, law abiding Muslims are the exception and the violent ones are merely the more devout precticioners of Islam.

We may need to rethink the very Western idea that all religions deserve respect. We don't afford all political philosophies with the same respect; why should religions be different?

Collapse -
i very much doubt it Ed

In reply to: Possible pope link to nun's death

just a sensational headline...

christians (both of the cloth and 'civilians') have been murdered ever since they broke away from islam...

jonah

Collapse -
Misleading headlines

In reply to: i very much doubt it Ed

So which did he do?

MSN news claims the pope has apologized

http://www.msn.com/

but the text of the article actually says otherwise...that, more or less, he regrets the reaction of some Muslims

The Vatican released a statement Saturday saying the pope ?sincerely regrets? that Muslims were offended, but stopped short of the apology demanded by many Muslim leaders.

We are...daily...presented with false information by the news media. Why bother to waste time reacting and discussing what cannot be taken as truth? Religion is not the cause of these problems...it's falsehoods we hear (and believe) coming from those we pay to bring us the news. It's time...past time...to demand an apology from this pack of liars. Sad

Collapse -
Speaking of which:

In reply to: Misleading headlines

I notice that Ed's Subject title could mean 'The Pope himself is linked ...', although I'm sure he meant 'Pope's speech ...'

Shows how easy it is to be misunderstood.

Collapse -
Not sure I'd blame the media...

In reply to: i very much doubt it Ed

A high-level Islamist source told Reuters the attack may well be linked to the controversy over Pope Benedict's recent remarks about holy wars, which have been taken by many Muslims as an attempt to portray their religion as innately violent.

Whether the killing was connected to the Pope's words or not, that high-level source, whoever it was, seems to think so.
Collapse -
Or as an alibi

In reply to: Not sure I'd blame the media...

or an opportunity to take credit/blame for an unrelated incident and save labor costs.

Collapse -
remember

there allowed to kill ask any fanatical muslum

Collapse -
It's amazing to me...

In reply to: remember

how the muslims are demanding an apology from the Pope,but I've never heard a muslim apologise for their actions! Come on everybody, we've got to stop bending over for them and start standing against them. When they say they want to wipe Israel off the map and kill all Christians and Jews, we had better start taking them at their word. We had better develop a little backbone and stop all of this political correctnes, and start dealing with this deadly problem....Maggie

Collapse -
well maggie

In reply to: It's amazing to me...

i agree as seen here in se some of there followers get upset when i remind them of the "peacefull" intentions.
they delete and cry rivers
but when its a muslum demanding something seems its diferent

Collapse -
All I know is,

In reply to: well maggie

if we don't put a stop to this nonsense, It won't be long "till we will be under their rule and their mercy. Is this what it's going to take for people to wake up? By then it will be too late. When will people realize you cannot compromise with evil?..Maggie

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) tell it to the democrats

In reply to: All I know is,

Collapse -
We seem to have a president who shares

In reply to: All I know is,

your feelings...and I do as well. Unfortunately, we have a group in this country more interested in the capture and punishment of the president than of those he's trying to go after.

Collapse -
i agree they hate bush so much

In reply to: We seem to have a president who shares

they would sell out the usa

Collapse -
Security around pope beefed up

Italian media report security around Benedict XVI tightened following harsh responses to his remarks on Islam; pope expected to deliver weekly sermon from his summer home on Sunday, but it remains unclear whether he will address international uproar

Nir Magal and agencies Published: 09.17.06, 00:00

Italian media reported that security around Pope Benedict XVI has been beefed up following the harsh responses to his remarks on Islam.

On Sunday the pope is expected to deliver his weekly sermon from his summer home, and it is still not clear whether he will address the international uproar his comments have stirred.

In a speech delivered last week in Germany the pope quoted 14th-century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus who said: "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

seems to me this proves my point about this
"peacefull religion"

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3304614,00.html

Collapse -
Media speculation or they just want you

to consider it even if not true. From my limited understanding of Islam, I hear the Somali brand is about as bad as it gets with regard to the position and value of women to, what is already in African culture, a quite male dominated group of societies. Add the Taliban mentality of many in this land of warlords and you have a lethal mixture waiting for you if you're chromosomes are XX and don't keep to your place.

Collapse -
Just occured to me...

In reply to: Media speculation or they just want you

From what I'm now hearing, The Pope is now saying his remarks do not reflect his personal belief of Islam. Why doesn't he tell us what his personal belief is??..Maggie

Collapse -
Well, here ya' go

In reply to: Just occured to me...

http://www.freemuslims.org/news/article.php?article=857

But keep in mind that popes, unlike secular leaders, are not voted in on the basis of their personal opinions. While Benedict may have his own thoughts on the subject, he's not likely to express any such that would be contrary to historical church teachings or in conflict with the religious principles of the church.
Collapse -
Well, here ya' go??

In reply to: Well, here ya' go

What was that supposed to mean? The Pope back tracked by saying that wasn't his personal opinion. I didn't say anything about elected officials,but he is a church leader. It seems to me that the people would want to know just what his position is. It seems to me that you are implying that no one should ever question the Pope. The only one I don't question is God....Maggie

Collapse -
An explanation..as best I can

In reply to: Well, here ya' go??

Ok, now I know how the Pope feels. Happy You asked why he did not give his personal opinion. The article I linked to, I thought, gave a much better idea of his feelings for the Muslim community. I hope you read it. I also hope you read more of the entire text of the Popes speech that caused such an uproar. That was linked to in an early thread. If you didn't get a chance to, here's another link to it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0,,1873277,00.html

Frankly, most of this goes right over my head, but it's not about Muslims at all. It's an address to an academic community covering many issues. The mention of the quote from a medieval emporer seemed more of an aside to me than it did as an intergral part of the lecture. But, this was an more an esoteric than public address. It just so happened that some media people seemed to grab a small snippet, recognize that it would cause controversy, and toss it to the public airwaves while ignoring the rest of the address....which was not and opinion piece about Muslims or terrorism. The link gave to you did speak to this so should show his position more clearly

As for the Pope as a church leader, many will not understand the difference in this position versus that of other forms of leadership. He's not there to govern. And he's not there to express his own opinion as words for us to live by but to help us find God's desire and His words to live by. As you said, those are words not to question. Hope that helps. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.