Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Possible Norton software error

by lablover / August 11, 2005 11:01 AM PDT

PC is running XP SP2, 512 mb 80 gig drive 60 gig free.
Norton AV & IS ver 2004 and it is updated every Wed.

For about 3 weeks, I've been getting a blue screen than causes me to shut down and restart.

The message is:

Stop 0x0000008e (0xc0000005,0xefc6b2b7,0xee03c93c,0x00000000)
symevent.sys address efc6b2b7 base at efc600000 datestamp 4272844c

I think this is a Norton problem but nothing on their site matches this error message.

Anyone having a similar problem or can tell me anything? Where to look??

THANKS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible Norton software error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible Norton software error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at.....
by Papa Echo / August 11, 2005 1:54 PM PDT

Symantec Support. E-mail them. They couldn't possibly have everything at their FAQ. Maybe your problem is unique.

Anything at Event log ?

Collapse -
Part 2, look at
by lablover / August 12, 2005 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at.....

I could not find an Event log.

Checked the Symantec site again and they have nothing on there about this problem. I know it has to do with their Symevent code. Also, when d/l'ing AV updates it also d'l's a symevent manager, and it takes a long time to d/l and update.

Collapse -
Part 3, Look at...
by Papa Echo / August 12, 2005 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Part 2, look at

Event log...perhaps I should have mentioned ''Event Viewer'' - it's at Control Panel-->Administrative Tools.

As for not finding anything at Symantec's web site - you won't. You have to e-mail them with your problems. Tell them you paid for their product and that you are not able to find a solution at their web site.

Collapse -
Never Update Your Windows System!
by gangstergeek / August 12, 2005 6:27 AM PDT

From my experiance and time i put into systems, im beginning to see that microsoft is scandalus. wether u have sp1 or sp2, u need to disable the windows automatic updates. they are no good for your system. trust me, everytime it updates, it makes major system changes that u cannot track, and it will just get worse. and a suggestion, Norton is a legit faulty *** software. I'll give you a lil insite on the Norton scandel. Next time purchase Trend Micro PC-Cillin. Norton and McFaee are software gimics meant for the average not knowing it all people and they are making billions on the average joe and jennifer's.

Collapse -
Note
by Merl Priester / August 12, 2005 12:07 PM PDT

I will agree that if you remove Norton and go with AVG from Grisoft or Trendmicro's antivirus you will be better off.

As far as updating your PC, if you don't keep up on the security updates, you will be in trouble.

Most of the systems I do cleanup on these days do not have SP2 installed and they still use IE6.

Many fixes for XP have not been exploited yet, but after they are found, the exploits start, so don't wait to get the patches.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!