Laptops forum

Question

Possible harddrive corruption?

ASUS G60VX Windows 7

I am the most desperate I've ever been.

Current problems:
1. Windows 7 Recovery Disc using ASUS Preload Wizard attempts to partition suffers error 1117: "ERROR: C:\ASUS.SM. [_wim_create_file:(seq. 10) -> Fail to read WIM header] [err= 1117]
2. Attempts to boot normally gives: "Missing operating system" on a black screen.
3. There is no way to access command prompt.

The Story:
After a windows update, my normal desktop began to freeze and I had to force shutdown my laptop by holding the power button. After I started the laptop up, Windows could not boot normally. Trying to boot with safe mode, the driver loading messages froze at CLASSPNP.sys. After using the BIOS to change the IDE to "Compatibility" mode, the continuous loop of the Start-up Repair Utility plagued my system in every single boot option (spamming F8) with no repair in sight. So I decided to use the ASUS Win7 recovery CD to return my laptop to manufactured condition. This also failed giving me either the error 1117 message or the "cannot set temp path to work in."

I've changed the boot device priority to CD/DVD in order to access the Recovery CD that gives me the 1117 error.

All I want to do is return my laptop to manufactured condition and get out of this chaotic loop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible harddrive corruption?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible harddrive corruption?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
change the IDE to "Compatibility"

In reply to: Possible harddrive corruption?

That could corrupt hard drive contents so decide which mode you want, save your files to your backups and restore the machine with either the onboard restore or restore media.

If restore efforts fail, your laptop needs repairs. And I've never seen a Windows Update cause all this. I have seen a HD get very corrupted by changing the mode.

You bring up a good point. Is it time to lock out or remove BIOS options like this?
Bob

Collapse -
failing recovery media

In reply to: change the IDE to "Compatibility"

Yeah both the onboard restore (F9 at the ASUS logo) and the Windows 7 Recovery Media CD that came with the laptop have failed to work in all partition options with that error 1117.

Collapse -
So with the backup done.

In reply to: failing recovery media

You deleted all the partitions (too many tools for me to list here but Gparted and DBAN are common) and used the restore media?

Or did you try to avoid the wipe step? Changing that mode in some machines means we get to wipe out and start fresh.

I can only guess if you know if this machine does this wipe out on mode change.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PS. Bonus material.

In reply to: Possible harddrive corruption?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.