Desktops forum

Question

possible gpu esd damage

Hi,

So yesterday I decided to clean my computer especially the cpu fan, as it got pretty loud under load which didn't happen when there wasn't as much dust in it.
I touched grounded metal (heater) and the case before doing anything but stupidly, so freaking stupidly, I used a dust cleaner, like a swiffer, and swiped over the back of the pcb. I'm quite sure this is where there must have been an esd (did not notice at that point). It might have been when I accidentally slightly touched the pcie connector.

Later that evening, I played some CS:GO. Up until the second game there were zero problems until my pc crashed with a striped screen and wouldn't start again correctly (grey/black screen and nothing happens). Today, I did a clean Windows 8.1 install, which I had to because I couldn't update to it because my user folders were moved...
Now it starts up and doesn't crash as long as I use the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver but there are graphical glitches all over the place (horizontal green bars in wide vertical bars).
If I install the proper driver (AMD Catalyst Beta/ Non-beta or through windows update) nothing works anymore like when all this started.

Now, I have to use the integrated HD4000... Can I do anything here or is the graphics card irreparably destroyed? It is a 2.5 years old Sapphire HD 7870.
I appreciate any help/comments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: possible gpu esd damage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: possible gpu esd damage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For me I'd try the usual first.

In reply to: possible gpu esd damage

While it's not a sure thing I'd pull the GPU card out (always be safe with the ESD and don't use swiffers.)

Now gently run the erase over the contacts (this is on the web.) Then replace the GPU heatsink compound.

You didn't reveal if this is in or out of warranty. While I cringe at the thought of a swiffer, you may try the warranty angle. But the symptoms are on track with a bad GPU.
Bob

Collapse -
Type. Eraser.

In reply to: For me I'd try the usual first.

Collapse -
warranty

In reply to: For me I'd try the usual first.

Sorry, but could you clarify your second sentence? (I'm not a native speaker)
Sadly the card is over two years old, so warranty has probably expired.

I should probably try it out in another computer but I'm a little to paranoid about damaging someone else's components now...
I guess any kind of repair will not really be possible, right?

Collapse -
Many cards have long warranties.

In reply to: warranty

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.