HolidayBuyer's Guide

Auto Repair forum

General discussion

Possible electr. problem (strange)-2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

by LLegg923 / April 14, 2008 2:33 AM PDT

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 102,500 miles. I bought it new. The battery is less than a year old and I just got a tune up about six weeks ago. Everything that could be checked when hooked up to a computer checked out ok.

For the last month, off and on, while driving at full speed on the interstate, it's started acting like something electrical is shorting out. First it started with the radio "popping" loudly like a short, then the gauges going wild and a few lights on the dash (emerg. brake and abs indicators) coming on and flickering off as the radio cuts in and out. The dash never dims but the mileage indicator numbers flicker as does the lighted buttons on my overhead console, but the digital temperature numbers stay lit the whole time. And my satellite radio (a separate radio) stays on the whole time, not even flickering.

Also, while all of this is happening, the headlights dim, but don't go out. Like I said, this has happened off and on for a few weeks. It will do it on one trip, then not again for a week, then do it a couple of trips, then be fine again for several days.

The engine keeps on purring and doesn't miss a beat. However, it did stall on me once about three weeks ago while I was idleing waiting to pull out onto a road from a parking lot. But then it started right up and hasn't stalled since. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible electr. problem (strange)-2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible electr. problem (strange)-2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Electrical Problem
by tdesmond / May 11, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

I have the same problem. Did you figure out the problem?

Collapse -
Probably Crank Position Sensor
by svo306 / January 20, 2009 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Electrical Problem

I'll bet good money that your crank position sensor has gone bad. I think your other problems may be ancillary, caused by the engine temporarily shutting down. When the engine stops running, all of your power accessories are trying to run off the battery by itself; not good. That's [bad crank position sensor]a common problem with late model Jeeps. I can't say 100% that's your problem, but worth investigating further. Hope that helps you.

1991 Cherokee Classic 264,000mi
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo (ZJ) 132,000mi

Collapse -
I agree.
by mustang_racer88 / April 29, 2010 5:57 PM PDT

I would have to agree about the Crank Position Sensor. I had the same problem a year a go and I was told by the mechanic that it's the Crank Position Sensor. Just have it diagnosed.

Collapse -
2003 jeep grand cherokee
by buckary / February 9, 2009 1:12 AM PST

I have this same vehicle. I do know if you have a repair manual? you can turn your key on /off/on/off/on and this will bring up a code on your odometer. only if your check engine light is on. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Computer or O2 Sensors- 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo...
by ashlea.spivey / March 18, 2009 4:34 AM PDT

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, it has 115,000 miles. Recently, while sitting in traffic the car just shut off. The engine is so quiet I didn't even realize that it was off. Since then I have had to drive certain days with my feet on the gas and the brake.

I did a fuel injection cleaning and now it doesn't shut off but the idle is very low... My car acts like an old man about to die. Now in the morning it wont crank.

I took it to get a diagnostic and they said it's either the computer or the 02 sensors. I am trying to figure out which one to replace.

Could someone let me know if they have had this problem and how to correct it.

Collapse -
PNP Sensor
by hannotek / May 4, 2010 1:54 AM PDT

I had this same problem with my 2003 GC. I replaced a number of parts, including the starter, ignition switch, and one of my O2 sensors. I still had the problem. While I was under the jeep, I noticed a sensor connector on my transmission bell housing was loose. It ended up being the Park-Neutral-Position sensor. I replaced the sensor and the connector and have not had any of the same problems. The parts weren't expensive, but they are uncommon, so I had to order them. Most parts stores can order it and have it in a day. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Same issue...
by azrael13666 / April 14, 2009 11:54 AM PDT

Hi,

I just joined because I saw that the issue you were describing is exactly the same issue I am having with my 03 GC laredo and I wanted to know if you ever found the cause/solution. Right now its driving me crazy because I take it to get looked at but it nevers does anything wrong when they check it. Next time i drive it, it does it again and by the time I take it back to them it doesn't happen anymore so they can't pinpoint anything. Please let me know if you had this fixed and found the solution

Collapse -
Jeep grand Cherokee electrical problem
by crown / April 12, 2010 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issue...

My 2002 Grand Cherokee did the same things described above. The gauges would go crazy while driving. The radio would pop. The car sometimes wouldnt start and then run fine for weeks.
I took the battery in and had it tested at pep boys. They said it was fine.
I had it trouble checked at my local mechanic. But every time I took it in, it would run perfectly.
Finally after about 5 months of this the car finally died for good.
I had it towed to the dealer.
He looks at it and says, "Oh, you need a new battery!.
New battery installed.
All problems gone.

Collapse -
Ask mechanic
by Car Repair Gudie / April 12, 2010 4:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
2003 jeep grand cherokee shudder, acceleration problem
by frazierboys / April 21, 2010 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Ask mechanic

When start engine, rpms revs excessively high. Then when driving, around 50 mph and put pedal on the floor, it barely accelerates. When slowing down to about 20 mph it like doesn't shift down and the car shakes. The check engine light code is for evap. There are no codes regarding the transmission or anything other than evap. We have taken it to a transmission shop today, and they experienced the shudder, but thought that changing the filter and fluid would help. It didn't. I have taken it to an automotive shop and they put it on the machine and couldn't find anything wrong with my car. It doesn't do it all the time, but within the last few days, it is doing it more often. Very frustrated!! Please help. Been dealing with this for 3 months.

Collapse -
EVAP hose leak
by hannotek / May 4, 2010 2:02 AM PDT

I had a similar problem a couple years ago on my 2003 GC. It shuddered a couple times and gave me a trouble code. That code was for the EVAP canister. I took it to a Jeep dealership to have them look at it. They found a leak in the hoses and the canister. They replaced it in about an hour, but it was not cheap. I would recommend taking it to a non-dealer mechanic because they tend to be less expensive! But definitely do have the canister checked out. If you want to check it yourself, the canister is located on the rear driver side, under the bumper. I think I got charged so much because they had to take my bumper off! Either way, I hope this helps you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.