Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Possible DOA GPU?

by joshuav97 / April 6, 2015 12:58 PM PDT

So on Saturday I received my R7 260x from XFX and am wondering if the problems I'm experiencing with it are indicators of it possibly being dead on arrival. Before I begin I should post my specs:
Mobo: Asus A88xm-A
CPU: AMD a10 5800k
PSU:EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Ram: 8gb Gskill DDR3-1600
Harddrive: Seagate 1tb

So after I installed it into my motherboard I thought I would simply have to go on AMD's website, run their driver tool and it would detect my graphics card, install the drivers, smooth sailing from there. What actually happened is that it would only detect the graphics from my 5800k, not the video card. Weird, so I start googling to troubleshoot and get the basics out of the way, I uninstalled all things AMD from my computer and reinstall them, I reseated the card in the PCIe slot (unfortunately my motherboard only has one slot so I couldn't verify if the issue lies within the slot), I did a cmos reset of my motherboard, still absolutely nothing. I know the graphics card is properly seated in the slot as the metal piece that screws onto the case aligns perfectly, all of its ports are properly sticking out the back of the case, it snaps into place perfectly. So I doubt its position in the slot is the issue. At this point I'm starting to think that this may be a hardware problem and as such am debating putting in a service ticket to XFX to see if I can possibly get the card replaced, but before I do, I would like to hear everyone else's opinion. I know that this can possibly also be an issue with my motherboard's PCIe slot, but my main question is: is this definitive enough to say that it's a hardware issue and not a software issue? Is there anything else I can try to possibly fix this that doesn't involve sending it back for a replacement?

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Before going any further .... do the BENCH TEST which you
by VAPCMD / April 6, 2015 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible DOA GPU?

should have done before installing components in the case.

If you're not sure what that is......do a little searching here on CNET Forums. If you don't you fav search engine will get it.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
aux power
by Bob__B / April 7, 2015 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible DOA GPU?

I think that card requires a 6 or 8 pin aux power.
Did you connect that?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!