Computer Help forum

Possible DOA GPU?

by joshuav97 / April 6, 2015 12:58 PM PDT

So on Saturday I received my R7 260x from XFX and am wondering if the problems I'm experiencing with it are indicators of it possibly being dead on arrival. Before I begin I should post my specs:
Mobo: Asus A88xm-A
CPU: AMD a10 5800k
PSU:EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Ram: 8gb Gskill DDR3-1600
Harddrive: Seagate 1tb

So after I installed it into my motherboard I thought I would simply have to go on AMD's website, run their driver tool and it would detect my graphics card, install the drivers, smooth sailing from there. What actually happened is that it would only detect the graphics from my 5800k, not the video card. Weird, so I start googling to troubleshoot and get the basics out of the way, I uninstalled all things AMD from my computer and reinstall them, I reseated the card in the PCIe slot (unfortunately my motherboard only has one slot so I couldn't verify if the issue lies within the slot), I did a cmos reset of my motherboard, still absolutely nothing. I know the graphics card is properly seated in the slot as the metal piece that screws onto the case aligns perfectly, all of its ports are properly sticking out the back of the case, it snaps into place perfectly. So I doubt its position in the slot is the issue. At this point I'm starting to think that this may be a hardware problem and as such am debating putting in a service ticket to XFX to see if I can possibly get the card replaced, but before I do, I would like to hear everyone else's opinion. I know that this can possibly also be an issue with my motherboard's PCIe slot, but my main question is: is this definitive enough to say that it's a hardware issue and not a software issue? Is there anything else I can try to possibly fix this that doesn't involve sending it back for a replacement?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Possible DOA GPU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Possible DOA GPU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Before going any further .... do the BENCH TEST which you
by VAPCMD / April 6, 2015 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible DOA GPU?

should have done before installing components in the case.

If you're not sure what that a little searching here on CNET Forums. If you don't you fav search engine will get it.

Collapse -
aux power
by Bob__B / April 7, 2015 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible DOA GPU?

I think that card requires a 6 or 8 pin aux power.
Did you connect that?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?