HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

possible blown fan??

by Pattieton / December 2, 2013 9:03 PM PST

My computer will not get passed the HP screen (with all the esc. and f-11 keys etc...) and when I tried to go into safe mode i noticed my keyboard wasnt working. (no lights on it at all) So ofcourse I switched out my keyboard and the same thing. Any suggestions? The person on it last night said she heard a loud noise and that was it...it turned off. I figured the fan or motor? Any ideas? Im desperate....Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: possible blown fan??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: possible blown fan??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2013 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: possible blown fan??

I've yet to find a blown fan cause the keyboard to not blink on startup.

Why not model number? Not much to go on here so check that the keyboard is in the right connector.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: loud noice
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 2, 2013 9:13 PM PST

Could be the hard disk that went south (a head crash surely makes noise). Get it out and try it in an external enclosure. If OK there, it's some other hardware that you need to replace.

Why desperate? Any repair shop will be able to get it up and running again. Be sure, however, that the machine is worth the repair costs.

Kees

Collapse -
waiting on tech guy
by Pattieton / December 2, 2013 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: loud noice

Im at work and waiting on my tech guy to get here...not sure when that's gonna be...hopefully soon. and yah i checked the keyboard and its in the right spot...the loud noise she heard last night might have been the hard drive..frustrated. thank you

Collapse -
Answer
Details...none provided
by Willy / December 2, 2013 9:28 PM PST

You gave no hint on what PC is involved here, thus details.

My GUESS if whomever heard the noise, if like a pop or bang, maybe a bad capacitor went out big time. That would cause a non-start or unresponsive boot. You need to open PC case and check the innards closely and use the "bad caps" example at ----> http://www.badcaps.net

If you find such, then usually a repair can be made or attempted from one with skills, otherwise, find a replacement mtrbd. if that's the case. Understand, caps are found where electronics are used so anywhere inside the PC case. If a device is holding back the boot, disconnect until found. If bad PSU, replace with similar. I'm assuming its a bad PSU because it turned-OFF.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
ok
by Pattieton / December 2, 2013 9:45 PM PST

tada Happy okay... thanks you guys...I guess I wanted a quick fix like magic ...techie will be here this afternoon, I must get back to work! thank you again for all your guy's help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.