General discussion

Possessed computer

I need a little assistance with a computer I'm working on. It's a Intel Pentium w/MMX 233 with 72 m/ram and a ASUSTeK TXP4 REV 1.X motherboard. First it would only boot into safe mode; into normal mode would come up with a Windows Protection Error which I have fixed(??!!??). It will now boot into normal mode but I now have no graphics, only 16 colors. When I tried to into the Settings tab to check the adaptor, etc., it flips to a blank screen & freezes. I have to do a ctl-alt-del twice before it reboots. It always starts back up to the boot-in sreen with the options of how to start the computer. I've installed new software & done all scans, ie: AV, AD/SPYWARE, etc and cleaned it all up (it's my cousin's computer who has no fear ((which means he is oblivious to all the spam, etc out there, even after repeated warnings)) and downloads, chats & God knows what all else). Everything else appears to work, except the internet (lan), which may be a seperate problem (it also means I may have a newer virus that the software didn't pick, but I doubt that is the cause). I have also noticed that if I change any settings, such as "days to keep in History" in the Internet settings, it always reverts to default settings the next time I enter (that happens even if I haven't re-started the comp). Any ideas would be much appreciated. Lloyd. PS: could it possibly be the video card that started all this? Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Possessed computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Possessed computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: problems

Video: reinstall the driver. If problems persists, another videocard would be the next thing to try.

Boot into boot-menu: that's something you can reset with MSCONFIG, I think, or else with TweakUI.

Internet settings changing automatically: see what CWshredder and Hijackthis have to say about browser plugins. If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode some other running malware is suspected.

Hope this helps.

Kees

- Collapse -
TXP4
http://docs.van-diepen.com/th99/m/A-B/34617.htm is a link to inform you about your mobo. Intel chipset. Go to Intel.com, download chipsetid, then download chipset drivers from list. You may or may not have all drivers.
ditto about the video card drivers.
W P E that you fixed may arise suspicion of other problems. Without Norton Windoctor (Utilities) you may be looking at a re-install.
start-run-sfc , system file checker, settings-changed-deleted, will be time consuming and maybe not much help for corrupted-changed-deleted main files.
I've had trouble with AMD K6-2 processors 450mhz-up. They appear fine to most availible tests but still glitch data and it slowly gets worse until you can't even boot the OS. On a few, for cheapness, I've used an Intel P1 200mhz mmx, but there are jumper changes for speed and core voltages, compared to $60 AMD replacement just to find out.

CNET Forums

Forum Info