Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Portland website

by irish147 / August 8, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

Does anyone know what has happened to Portland's free web hosts? I had my website with Portland but I cannot access it now and there has been no email from them to explain this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portland website
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portland website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Portland website

Without income, such endeavors can implode. There are dozens I've seen 'wink out of existence' over the past decade.

I'm sure it was the same reason.

Bob

Collapse -
Free Web hosting
by irish147 / August 8, 2005 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Most likely the usual.

thanks for your ans....

any other FREE web hosting.....

ta

Collapse -
There are many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Free Web hosting

But I don't keep track of them. For some, geocities.com is OK. Others can be picky. If you are picky, start your search again.

Bob

Collapse -
Geocities? ewwww :P
by xangelo / August 8, 2005 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: There are many.
Collapse -
xangelo, You use all 10?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Geocities? ewwww :P

Which one do you use?

Bob

Collapse -
Lol
by xangelo / August 8, 2005 9:27 AM PDT

Lol no, but i've tried all of them. Right now I use DynaHosting. But I also purchased web-hosting/domain name from e-christian webhosting.

Collapse -
What I'm using.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Lol

I went with Infoquest over 6 years ago. At least the price has slowly gone down or I would have bailed.

Bob

Collapse -
Before I would
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Portland website

Before picking any host, you should know that there are millions of webhosts out there, but not every host is legit nor recommended. Some free hosts have a ton of ads, some free hosts have many restrictions, and some will only stay above water for a certain time before you lose everything you've created.

What it comes down to is this: What website am I creating? Each website (language, dynamic, scripts/programs, graphics, bandwidth) has certain requiremens of a host. So, instead of designing a website based on your host (in this case free), you should always choose a host based on your needs.

Let us know if you need help choosing.

~Sovereign

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.