Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Portable MP3 player with tuner?

by CandiApple / May 27, 2007 3:39 AM PDT

I currently use an old Sony walkman when I am jogging since it is small. I want to put my cd's on an mp3 player but also want the option of a tuner. I don't want to spend more than $50.

Is there one out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable MP3 player with tuner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable MP3 player with tuner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BEWARE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

Yes you might find these on Ebay but if you check the forum sticky these are not what they seem.

Your price point is too low for the US market.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob ... let's say I don't have a price range ...
by CandiApple / May 27, 2007 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: BEWARE!!!

I have yet to see any mp3's with tuners - I'm not concerned about price as much as I am concerned about clarity and size.

Collapse -
Go get a test of those Creative units with the tuners.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 5:00 AM PDT

Clarity is one of those personal measurement items. For me the clarity is blown since we use those little ear buds. Nothing seems clear compared to real speaker systems or full headsets.

Bob

Collapse -
If you want to improve your sound quality...
by trolyy / May 27, 2007 10:21 PM PDT

I find to improve the sound quality get a good pair of earphones, I find the best ones are, Sennheiser CX300 ($35), V-Moda Bass Freq ($35), and Soundwise G3 ($50- personnal best, but hard to find in USA). However these are all earbuds, which many people don't like because you have to get a perfect fit to get full sound quality, to stop them falling out and to cut out outside noise. But you often get 3 different bud ends/sizes in the box. These earphones will add to your price limit of $50, but it is something to think about.

Si.

Collapse -
SanDisk Sansa Express
by ktreb / May 27, 2007 1:29 PM PDT

Has an fm tuner, 1GB, and comes in at around $50 at your local Best Buy. The Creative Muvo also has an fm tuner and takes AAA batteries, so you don't have to worry about connecting to your computer to charge it or buying an ac adapter. If you're just getting into digital music, these are good choices to get started. If you want to spend a little more the Creative Zen V Plus has in addition to an fm tuner, video playback and photo viewing.

Most players will sound better if you upgrade from the stock earbuds. But many people are perfectly happy with what came with their players. You probably won't find them on these forums, though.

Collapse -
Thanks - I found a great deal with Sandisk ($68)
by CandiApple / May 28, 2007 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: SanDisk Sansa Express

I guess my next question is what type of noise cancelling headphones would you suggest (or should I start another thread). I also want to use the same ones in the gym (to block out the stereo they have going on).

Collapse -
noise cancelling
by ktreb / May 28, 2007 1:19 PM PDT

I'm still searching for the perfect headphones/earphones/earbuds myself. I'm fairly happy with the ones I'm using right now. I'm not 100 percent happy with them...I'm about 90 percent there. I'm using Shure e2c earphones. They're relatively pricey, around $100 but can be found for cheaper. They do a fairly good job of blocking outside noise, but you have to experiment with the different size ear pieces. And I'd like little more bass. If I'm in a quiet room, I like using Bose triport earphones for the bass they provide. They don't provide any noise cancelling. I'd like to find something that provides passive noise cancelling (rather than active noise cancelling which requires batteries, thus adding weight) with a little more bass. I might try the Shure e3c or Ultimate Ears. These are pricey, but I'm trying to protect my hearing in the long run and still get good sound.

I'm not really an expert, so you may want to start a new thread or look through some of the past threads. There was a headphone discussion sometime in the last month or so, but I don't know where that went. You don't necessarily need to spend more than $50. It really depends on what you need and the lengths that you will go through to meet that need.

In the meantime, here are some links that might help you:

CNET Editor's Choice for earbuds, and you could see the choices for other types of headphones.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6531_7-6509085.html?tag=dir

iLounge's Complete Guide to earphones. They are iPod-centric, but it still is a pretty good guide. It's 5 parts. The links to the next part are toward the bottom of each page.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-earphones-part-1/

Collapse -
not that good for the price.
by trolyy / May 28, 2007 7:54 PM PDT

I would say even though the Shure e2c and e3c are both very good earphones, you can find the same quality for less. If you want to spen $100+ on your earphones also try v-moda Vibe, but if you want earphone for less than $40 than I would still say Sennheiser CX300 or probably the best for this price v-moda Bass Freq. Check them out on some review sites.

Si.

Collapse -
Linderman spammed. Sorry if that killed a few posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2007 8:33 AM PDT

The forum policies keep this a spamfree zone. So they had to go.

Bob

Collapse -
Check out Creative ZEN V Plus
by rod1607 / May 29, 2007 6:58 PM PDT

I have a Creative ZEN V Plus. it has an FM tuner which works quite well. COmes in 1, 2, 4 and I think 8G memory. SO far it seems Okay. Price however is in the 80 - 180 dollar range in Canada. Probably similar in US. There are also ZEN V (without the plus) which look identical but do not have FM tuners and are cheaper, so be careful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.