Computer Help forum

General discussion

Portable modem ??

by gpadilla7 / February 25, 2011 11:28 AM PST

I bought a 320 GB portable hard drive and backed up everything on my Gateway laptop, but I really don't know what I backed up. What I want to do is have everything on my portable hard drive, so I can reset my laptop back to what it was with I first got it. Someone please tell me if this can be done and how can i do it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable modem ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable modem ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll say it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: Portable modem ??

"Bad idea."

This and the other forums are full of posts from people that drove down the number of copies of "what they can't lose" to one copy on an external drive. They reload the OS and for some reason can't read the external drive. Yes it could be that old XP 127GB issue and they tried to recovery software before installing Service Packs but it was too late by the time they asked.

Don't follow others to the same problems. If you have files you can't lose, put those in more than one place.
Bob

Collapse -
Your question is light . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 25, 2011 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: Portable modem ??

on specifics.

Your OS? What software did you use to do this backup? Did you just blindly start some program?

Unless you've made specific changes on where you save all your "stuff", it will be in the My Documents folder. Favorites, emails, etc. will be in the Documents and Settings folder. Programs will not move or back up.

As Bob says, one copy is asking for disaster. Reason being, if you restore your PC, it may not recognize your new portable hard drive. Or it may not recognize the "backup" you created. And I get the feeling you are not experienced enough to trouble shoot this issue. A better plan will be to burn your "stuff" and all to optical media, CDs or DVDs. Then just do a "drag and drop" (copy/paste) of the My Documents folder and the Documents and Settings folder to the portable drive.

I recommend you familiarize yourself with the specifics of that new portable drive, exactly what software you used to create this backup, and consider using optical media as a second backup.

As a for instance, I have my main PC hard drive cloned and the clone stored away, I do this at least once a month. I also have all my "stuff" copied to another external hard drive, and I make a monthly copy of everything I can't afford to loose onto DVDs. I have my web site backed up on another internal slave drive and to DVDs.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. AE"

Collapse -
Vista is my operating system
by gpadilla7 / February 25, 2011 10:39 PM PST

Well all I did was back up. I do not have that much knowledge. I am thinking I should just transfer (paste ) to a DVD. But it seems to time consuming to past one by one. Is there a faster way to do this? Now to restore my computer to factory settings, do I need my CD that came with my laptop?

Collapse -
Re: backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 10:49 PM PST

If you don't know what you did backup, you don't know if it's all. That's simple.
So either find out what's on this backup, or use another program or way to backup that lets you specify what to backup yourself. And be sure that you know how to restore it also.
An important detail: don't restore the thing that causes you to go back to factory settings if that's on the backup also.

An external disk is a fine way to do it, but - as Bob said - be sure to copy it to another place also before deleting the original data from your computer. The hard disk of another PC would be good place for such temporary storage.

The manual of your laptop should tell you how to go back to factory settings. It's either one CD/DVD, or two, or maybe three, or you can use a recovery partition.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?