TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Portable Media Storage/Playback

by TheOriginalJimGo / July 1, 2013 5:27 AM PDT

We have kids, and I'd like to be able to rip their favorite DVD's and other programs to a portable device so we don't have to worry about losing the DVD's when they want to watch something in the car or when visiting my parents or in-laws. I know I can get a laptop, but I don't want that kind of bulkiness, especially in the car. I know I can get an iPod/iPhone, but they are insanely expensive for the amount of storage they provide, and I'm really not looking for something with an integrated screen. Is there a sub-$100 device (and preferably les than $50) that has enough storage for 5 or 6 feature-length movies, and that I can output to HDMI as well as the old-fashioned RCA-style video jacks?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable Media Storage/Playback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable Media Storage/Playback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
At that price I came up empty handed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 5:33 AM PDT

What have you found so far at 50 to 100?

Maybe some cheep tablet but you have likely read the issues with those.
Bob

Collapse -
So far...
by TheOriginalJimGo / July 1, 2013 9:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Didn't know the storage was optional.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: So far...

I see no storage, no display so it's missing the price target by a wide margin IMO.
Bob

Collapse -
No need for display.
by TheOriginalJimGo / July 1, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

No display needed. I just need something that will store the movies and be able to play them back when connected to a screen. We already have displays and sound systems in the car, house, in-law's home, parents home, etc., so I see no reason to pay for the display again. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

The storage can be removable or integrated, I don't care. But that $35 unit, plus a 32 or 64 GB storage card would just about do it for me (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FVG3PC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile) I've never heard of that brand, though, and wanted to see of others had better suggestions, especially at a better price point. I wasn't sure if there would be a HDD-based device with 50-100GB of storage for not too much more than this device. I hadn't seen one, but thought maybe I wasn't using the right search terms.

Collapse -
All 50 to 100GB units blow past your price point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: No need for display.

Looking at 64GB flash cards is most of your budget and there are no 50-100GB HDDs in production so that's not out there.

I think you've found something. My thought is a cheep tablet might be an alternative.
Bob

Collapse -
I found that 32GB has the best value lately.
by Oldartq / July 2, 2013 4:59 AM PDT

I have seen the prices from $17-$22 but be sure they have a speed rating of 10...or you are not comparing the same value.

Collapse -
I would try it
by Pepe7 / July 3, 2013 1:27 AM PDT

Although I have a feeling the reviews are a tad 'juiced' Wink

Collapse -
Answer
Look at these
by samkh / July 2, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=pcat&pcat_id=2001

They take microSD. I'm sure you can hunt them for <$100, the 5" sold for <$50 a while ago. You don't need the screen but if it's there, why not? Kids can even watch in car.
Collapse -
They aren't worth $20
by Pepe7 / July 3, 2013 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at these

Pure garbage. Don't even bother.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!