Storage forum

General discussion

Portable HDD changed letters

by chilippr02 / April 2, 2011 10:07 AM PDT

My portable hdd has changed letters on me from U to E. I tried to change back to U but U is not in the designation. How do I get it back?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable HDD changed letters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable HDD changed letters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be something else is using U:
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 10:28 AM PDT

Look around the drives.

Collapse -
I generally label the drive...
by ahtoi / April 2, 2011 12:43 PM PDT

instead of depending on the drive letter. The label never change, like maybe "U drive" or "drive U". Just a suggestion. But I guess sometime labeling just will not do.

Collapse -
by chilippr02 / April 3, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

Nothing else is using the letter U. I use this drive for my itunes. And unless I want to reconfigure all of my itunes to the e drive, which will take way to long. I thought there might be a way to get the U back in the designation area. I f I rename the drive U isn't still E but with the name U. Sorry trying to explain the best I can. Thank you

Collapse -
There is a chance
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:23 AM PDT

That U is hidden from Explorer. I read this post again and can't find what OS is in use so YOU get to adjust my replies to match your OS.

1. Look at the drives list in Tweakui. Make sure U is not hidden.
2. What happens when you browse U: in Explorer?
3. What happens when you click Start, Run and U: then press enter.
4. What happens when you plug the USB drive into other ports?
5. Did you check in Disk Management? http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Drive-Letter-in-Windows-XP

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
by chilippr02 / April 3, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a chance

OOps Sorry! Windows XP sp3.

1- Not hidden in Tweak, at least I see it in there the box is checked

2- not in Explorer

3- When I click Start Run U: enter it Does not exist

4- When I plug that drive into other usb it Shows up as E:

5- U: is not in disk management. It use to be not any more.

Collapse -
Re: drive letter changed.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:23 AM PDT

Sometimes they do. It's not the drive itself, it's the way the OS determines the drive letter when booting.

Your OS might have the option in Disk Management to assign a fixed drive letter. But you didn't tell what OS you have.

Kees

Collapse -
by chilippr02 / April 3, 2011 3:26 AM PDT

Sorry! Windows XP sp3. U does not show up in Disk Management. Only about half of the letters are there when referenced with Tweakui.

Collapse -
All skill levels show up here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 3:22 AM PDT

Excuse me for checking but do you know how to scroll that box of letters in Disk Management?

And are you using Disk Management?
Did you try Device Manager to change it?

" Windows offers other ways to change the drive letters, either through the Disk Manager (Windows NT, 2000, XP and later) or through the Device Manager found in the Control Panel. "

Try both.

If this fails there is a way in the REGISTRY but I will only try that after you backup your system. Hint: Regedit, search for U:

Collapse -
Only about half of the letters are there when referenced
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 3:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Got It!!!
by chilippr02 / April 3, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

Its Back. Thanks for all of your help. Not sure what it was though. I just restored back to yesterday when it was working. Again Thanks for all of your help.

Collapse -
Just from my experiences
by KEWROCK / April 8, 2011 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Got It!!!

Letter designations all depend on what you have plugged in when you reboot. Flash drives, external hard drives, cameras and so on. So if you're like me and not good with registries, management or whatever tweek is. Just find a configuration that you like, and make sure it's always the same before you reboot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.