General discussion

Popups are now uncontrollable

I have installed several popup blockers and I still cannot prevent popups. My local web sites are the worse. Can I really stop all the popups?
Johnwit

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Popups are now uncontrollable
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Popups are now uncontrollable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: popups

Better try our browsers forum:
http://forums.cnet.com/browsers-forum/

And be sure to tell much more, such as:
- what browser(s) are you using
- do the popups happen in all
- what popup blockers did you install
- what are "local websites"
- what kind of popups do you get

The first tips, probably, will be something like:
- try the "Internet Explorer without add-ons" mode
- scan for malware using MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti Malware) and SAS (SuperAntiSpyware)
So why not do those and post the result in your new post in the browsers forum?

Kees

- Collapse -
Popups are better

Kees, thanks for your reply. I am using IE 8, local websites are www.wfaa.com and www.wbap.com some local radio/tv stations in Dallas. The popups slide in from the side over what you are reading or they peelup off the screen to cover what you are reading. The real popups give an error line at the top of the page so that I have to either allow or disallow. Of course sometimes I want what I have requested so it extra effor to allow the so-called popup.

I have Kaspersky antivirus but it doesn't prevent popups. Out of frustration I uninstalled several toolbars last week but I can't tell you the name. Makes me feel stupid, however uninstalling was an attempt to get back to a known state. Then I searched for popup blockers and installed Google Sidewiki toolbar and that seems to be working good for now.

I am responded out of frustration and I will continue to give Sidewiki a chance and reply back as it goes. Thanks again.
JohnWit

- Collapse -
Popups are still there but maybe a fewer number

I still get the peel-aways as before and they require me to "close" them and of course find the close statement. Also I am still getting popups that slide in from the right side of the screen and many at time related so I don't have a chance to close, just wait for them to time out.

It's to the point I wish Congress would inact a law that stops them because I am really tired of it.
JohnWit

CNET Forums

Forum Info