Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Popup ads

by David Evans / April 6, 2005 4:04 AM PDT

I'm using Firefox 1.0.2 on XP Home here at work. I've noticed for a while now that I occasionally get popup ads when going to Drudgereport. Tools/options/web features has "Block Popup Windows" checked.

I don't want the popups. Any suggestions?

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Popup ads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Popup ads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dave, i use this program
by jonah jones / April 6, 2005 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Popup ads
Collapse -
oops! only works on IE
by jonah jones / April 6, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

so how come i don't see popups with Firefox....

Collapse -
IE AND Firefox?
by opel8173 / April 6, 2005 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: oops! only works on IE

Are you suggesting that this program you mentioned DOES work EVEN with Firefox? I might have to try it
if this is true.

Collapse -
nope
by opel8173 / April 6, 2005 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: IE AND Firefox?

a.tribalfusion.com still pop up after installation of your program.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sorry "only works with IE"
by jonah jones / April 6, 2005 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: IE AND Firefox?
Collapse -
pissy news
by opel8173 / April 6, 2005 4:41 AM PDT

I even have drudgereport.com in my block list in Firefox and still I get a.tribalfusion.com ALL THE TIME when I click on a news story. It is aggravating to say the least, but I suppose old Matt has to pay the rent some way.

Of course I never see it as I right click on the tab in my toolbar and delete, but still, it is pissy.

Collapse -
no soloution yet
by opel8173 / April 6, 2005 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: pissy news

Forgot to mention that I even have a.tribalfusion.com in my Firefox block list and still it pops up.

Collapse -
This is from a tech guy where I work:
by EdH / April 6, 2005 5:30 AM PDT

This is because the evil pop-up ad coders have figured a way to make the flash
browser plug-in pop-up windows. This annoying behavior can be blocked by
following the instructions on this page:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html

Haven't tried it myself because so far AdBlock seems to handle this easily. If you do try it I'd be interested in the result.

Collapse -
Firefox 1.0.3 is out -- looks like they fixed the popups
by David Evans / April 20, 2005 7:54 AM PDT

Looks like they fixed that Flash trick that the popup ad people started using fairly recently. I clicked on Drudge Report several times and didn't get any popups.

DE

Collapse -
Finding FF 1.0.3 rather buggy.
by EdH / April 20, 2005 9:55 AM PDT

AdBlock sometimes doesn't load. Can't access my company webmail address book. I may dump it and go back to 1.0.2.

AdBlock kills the popunders anyway.

Collapse -
I guess it's not 1.0.3 after all...
by EdH / April 20, 2005 6:19 PM PDT

Something corrupted with my FF install. Uninstalled 1.0.3, installed 1.0.2. Did System Restore. Reinstalled AdBlock. Still no good. Ran lots of virus/spyware stuff, nothing detected.

I'm guessing there's a file or folder somewhere that needs to be deleted. More investigation today. I hate it when stuff that used to work perfectly suddenly craps out.

Collapse -
It IS 1.0.3 causing problems after all
by EdH / April 20, 2005 6:39 PM PDT

Apparently FF 1.0.3 is hosing systems all over. Many posts on the Mozillazine forum about this!

You may want to hold off on this update!

Collapse -
ive used it since it was released
by Mark5019 / April 20, 2005 9:21 PM PDT

guess im lucky as not a problem

Collapse -
extensions
by EdH / April 20, 2005 9:32 PM PDT

My problems have been with extensions like AdBlock and UBB Code, etc. None of them work anymore. Also I have my office webmail which uses popups for things like address books. That no longer works.

Also it takes forever to open.

I've seen a few proposed fixes that I can try but I think Mozilla needs to issue a fix since a lot of users seem to be experiencing the same thing.

Collapse -
I installed it yesterday before I posted
by David Evans / April 20, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

It seemed to work ok on my XP Home machine but I didn't get to use it for very long. Don't have the adblock extension installed on it.

Sounds like there might be a 1.0.4 release soon, if it's causing so much trouble.

DE

Collapse -
Try this
by Steven Haninger / April 6, 2005 6:24 AM PDT
Link here

I found one quirk with it and mentioned this in the browser forums. This extension seems to block you from following links from CNET forum messages unless you add the site to the "Allowed Sites" in the native popup blocker. The trusted sites I've added have been ok so far and those mystery popups seem to be under control.
Collapse -
I read that
by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 6:45 AM PDT

there's a patch in beta for Firefox.

Dan

Collapse -
I think I'd rather wait for that....
by Josh K / April 6, 2005 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I read that

....and just deal with it in the meantime rather than employing a "fix" that also impedes normal surfing or has unknown side effects.

Collapse -
Some pop ups come through, because of certain extensions
by trytohelp / April 6, 2005 11:48 AM PDT

What extensions do you have installed?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.