Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pope question

by Rick S / April 2, 2005 10:59 AM PST

What is the procedure for electing the next Pope?

In case you couldn't tell I'm not Catholic. Wink

I remember the deal about the smoke and I'm pretty sure the College of Cardinals elects the Pope but who is elegible and who are the front runners for election?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pope question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pope question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some reading, if you will
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2005 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Pope question

and I'm a member of a Catholic church and don't know all the ins and outs. Basically, it's a (shhh!!) secret thing and there are reasons why this is done. The cardinals of the church will be like a sequestered jury and will make the decision. I doubt anyone raises their hand and volunteers.:) Link here Secrecy is so vital that one can be excommunicated if the rules are breached. You might think of it as a real "Speakeasy" where you have to know someone to get in and have to keep things quiet or the moderators put their foot...well, you know.]:)

Collapse -
three things to know about the next pope
by jonah jones / April 2, 2005 1:30 PM PST
In reply to: Pope question

he won't be black, female or jewish...

Happy

Collapse -
LOL, don't be too sure.
by xerpor / April 2, 2005 3:03 PM PST

Given the 148 percent increase in the number of Catholics in Africa in the last 25 years, there has been some speculation that the choice of the next pontiff might reflect these changing demographics.

A conservative Nigerian cardinal, Francis Arinze, is rumored to rank high on the list of potential successors. Arinze is president of the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue, an issue that likely will be a high priority for the next pope.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0401_050401_nextpope.html

http://img74.exs.cx/img74/8503/screenshot0242mn.jpg

Collapse -
Or, if God is involved,
by drpruner / April 2, 2005 3:12 PM PST

"with God all things are possible." [somewhere in the bible] Happy
Regards, Doug sequestered in New Mexico

Collapse -
i would wager $100
by jonah jones / April 2, 2005 5:37 PM PST

that there will be a black president of the US before there will be a black pope...

Collapse -
But what if neither happens before
by drpruner / April 3, 2005 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: i would wager $100

Jehovah lowers the boom? How do the survivors collect from you? Happy
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
great way
by humbletothecore / April 3, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

to make sure Italian catholics become ex catholics.

Collapse -
Before the last election
by Jerry562 / April 2, 2005 7:57 PM PST

you could have added Polish and invoked a laugh too.

Collapse -
LOL! And we've lost this:
by drpruner / April 3, 2005 6:48 AM PDT

Mr. Tambo: "Are you certain of that, Mr. Bones?"
Mr. Bones: "Hey, does a bear snort in the woods? Is the Pope Italian?
*rimshot*

Collapse -
or
by humbletothecore / April 3, 2005 4:09 AM PDT

Do any real preaching from the words that God gave the church to use.

Collapse -
Seriously, in almost all the conversations
by drpruner / April 3, 2005 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: or

I've had with Catholics on that subject, their view is that the Church gave the bible to the world. And 'retains de facto. ownership of it,' or whatever the lawyers say in these cases. No mention of God.
Seriously.

Collapse -
I was just wondering today about how the first pope
by Dragon / April 3, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

came to be. Guess Ill have to read up on it.

I imagine the first popes were a little different than the popes of this era/

Collapse -
Peter first 'Pope' in Rome
by Roger NC / April 3, 2005 9:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well...maybe....sort of
by Steven Haninger / April 3, 2005 10:42 AM PDT

but not called Pope just yet. Peter is said to have visited Rome and was martyred there but Rome was not the Apostolic "see" (seat of authority) at the time. The apostles were scattered but establishing "churches" but most were destroyed by "barbarian" invasions with the exception of the Roman church. Biblical passages point to Peter as being favored by Jesus and asked (if not directed) to be His successor. This is disputed by many, however. One "bone of contention" is the use of the word "rock" in reference to Peter and the transliteration of the word from the common Greek writing of the scriptural passage. In any event, and for several reasons, Rome became home to the central church and it's bishop is the Pope (papa or father) maintaining continuity of leadership from the beginnings of the early church....that was on the shoulders of Peter. That's my unofficial "nutshell" version.

Collapse -
I wonder also about when
by Dragon / April 3, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

people got the idea the pope had a 'direct line' to god, or when they first believed the pope was ['almost', if not in fact] divine.

Collapse -
Those people are plain nuts
by Steven Haninger / April 3, 2005 12:49 PM PDT

Well, maybe theologically challenged to be more PC.:) Technically (and here's trouble coming) any Catholic "male" is eligible to become Pope. It helps to know folks in high places and I've never a PDF to fill out and apply for the position. But, the Pope is a priest who is elevated to a special position in the central church. While it's proper to respect the the man and his position, it's not proper to elevate him to the position of diety. BTW, the central church is not a traditional seat of "power" as some think. It has no power of or over heaven, hell, whatever. It's the teaching authority...the glue....and the stabilizing force of the central church. It there to assure that that the message of Christ is properly and accurately delivered with an awareness that the world is constantly changing. But a pope is still a man with the same connection to God as any. It's not like he's got broadband and we have dialup.:)

Collapse -
"it's not proper to elevate him to the position of diety,"
by drpruner / April 4, 2005 7:59 AM PDT

and I'm sure that's Church teaching somewhere in the archives. Happy
For the reality, turn on any network news show for the next few weeks. Several commentators have talked about 'crowds of worshipers, and I'm not sure they or the crowds mean "...of God." Are you sure?
Reminds me of catechisms I've seen that attempt to nitpick between "veneration" [of a Mary statue] and "worship." Maybe so, I say, but just you try to take away some babushka's. Holy Family wall hanging; I'd rather not, thanks.

Collapse -
I say "malarky!"
Several commentators have talked about 'crowds of worshipers,

Well, if you draw from the words of the "commentators" and other news readers and let those shape your opinions, I'd say you've been had.:) I'll try to find a priest who specializes in removal of the "Dan Rather demon" to pay a visit to NM.;)
Collapse -
Then I didn't make myself clear.
by drpruner / April 4, 2005 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I say "malarky!"

The commentators are reporting their impressions of the scenes; the crowds are real, the commentators are moved to see them (by their actions, certainly) as what the commentators think of as "worshiping." "Coming to Rome to worship" is a quote I remember distinctly.

Interesting that my ex-boss, an observant and informed Catholic, used to say that [in business] "perception is reality." If we say we're good at our job but our customers perceive that we're not, we're not. (And bankruptcy will eventually "prove" that!) If I see crowds of people before a corpse praying, genuflecting, holding up posters of the man, etc. etc., what am I to think? If I see a statue of a woman in royal garb being carried on a palanquin with frenzied people alongside doing etc. etc., what am I to think? Especially if two ceremonies- Catholic and Hindu- seem the same. Especially if I gather that the attitude of those present is that of "worship," not just along for the party.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico, careful not to walk like a duck ...

Collapse -
Guess there are always those who are their
by Dragon / April 4, 2005 9:54 AM PDT

so they can be 'part of history', so they can say, "I was there", or possibly because its a good way to meet girls...

Collapse -
In the business world, as your former boss said
by Steven Haninger / April 4, 2005 10:12 AM PDT
"perception is reality". I work face to face with customers daily and that expression is not new to me at all. In fact, it's purpose is to caution us that our own senses can deceive us from knowing what is truth...and that how we display ourselves is not always what is seen by others...but you knew that, didn't you.;)
Collapse -
Add to Pope "worship:"
by drpruner / April 9, 2005 2:32 PM PDT

During subsequent broadcasts the word I heard most often- and correctly- was "pilgrim."

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Phrase you want to check is Vicar of Christ.
by drpruner / April 4, 2005 7:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Doesn't the pope wear 'the ring of Peter'?
by Roger NC / April 3, 2005 12:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
An old tradition
by Steven Haninger / April 3, 2005 12:54 PM PDT

You must be referring to the "ring of the fisherman". From the little I know or have read, such rings were used even by kings and other authorities to impress a "seal" on official documents. Such was it's use in the Catholic church. The Popes ring does not pass on. It is destroyed after he dies....perhaps ceremonially.

Collapse -
I thought it was the Shoes of the Fisherman, or is that too
by Ziks511 / April 3, 2005 5:37 PM PDT
In reply to: An old tradition

Anthony Quinn?

Collapse -
Well, I had no link

and sometimes movie stars play roles so well we replace the actor/actress with the person they play and think of them as such.:)I gathered this small explanation. It's not much and I had not searched before posting but here it is. Link

Collapse -
Good ol' newadvent!
by drpruner / April 4, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, I had no link

The "ring of the fisherman" was new to me, too. Do you think the Clement of 1265 meant a literal ring/seal belonging to the actual Peter? Doesn't sound like a working fisherman's item; would George Clooney have worn one? Happy
Newadvent still has "Holy Bible:
In the future, New Advent plans to feature the Holy Bible in this space." You'd think they would scan in someone's Douay/Rheims for a copying fee. They do have some useful links to online bibles, though.
At the Vulgate http they quoted John 1:1 in Latin, so I keyed Jerome's car on my way out. Happy

Collapse -
NewAdvent
by Steven Haninger / April 4, 2005 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Good ol' newadvent!

It's really a very well disguised "popup" ad, is it not? You didn't expect to get out without finding a fundraiser or seeing a collection basket, did you?..and better check for spyware and catholic cookies after your visit.;)

Collapse -
Ceremonially..
by Cindi Haynes / April 4, 2005 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: An old tradition

Hi Steven,

I just read that the ring is smashed with the same silver hammer that they hit the Pope's forehead with when he dies.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.