General discussion

POP3 connection issues after changing user in Windows XP

I have 4 users set up in Windows XP Home Edition, which is up to date (SP2). All 4 are designated as "Computer Administrator". Additional "relevant" software being used is Norton SystemWorks 2003 (Norton AV 10.0.1.13), Windows XP "firewall", SpyBot 1.2. hardware in use is a D-Link DI-604 hardware router and D-Link DSS-5+ Ethernet Switch downstream from a cable modem.

My own user account uses Outlook 2002 to access 2 different POP3 email accounts, one is the 'postmaster' account from my domain, the other is my email account with our ISP. I also use Mailwasher ver 2 to access my email account with our ISP. All other user accounts only use Outlook Express v6.0 to access their single email account with our ISP.

My problem is that POP3 access is denied when I log in after any of the other 3 users have been logged in, have used Outlook Express, and then (completely) logged off. When I log in, I am not "switching" users. If I try to use Mailwasher and/or Outlook, I get the error "connection was refused, ensure that the POP3 server is correct", or the error "unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)." The problem does NOT happen if the other user has been logged in but has NOT used Outlook Express. This problem has been going on long before SP2 came out for Windows XP.

Internet browsing is not affected by this problem. The ISP's POP3 server CAN be accessed from the ISP's webmail site or mail2web.com with a browser when Outlook or Mailwasher CAN'T access it, so it is NOT an issue with the POP3 server. The ONLY way I have found to fix the POP3 access problem with my user login is to do a reboot of my PC and then I login as my user. Then access is fine. I don't do ANYTHING to the Ethernet switch, router, or cable modem.

I have tried disabling Norton AV and Windows XP firewall before launching Outlook, but it has made no difference. I tried "Repair" of the LAN and network bridge, but that made no difference, either. In the "Set Program Access and Defaults" section of "Add or Remove Programs", the Custom configuration is used and is set to "use my current ..." for all choices.

Any thoughts as to where I might look to really fix this problem, so a reboot is not required?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: POP3 connection issues after changing user in Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: POP3 connection issues after changing user in Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: POP3 connection issues after changing user in Windows XP

Read some troubleshooting techniques from the following MSKB article:

Q291614 - OL2002: How to Troubleshoot Invalid Page Faults (IPF) in the Outllib.dll File

Ignore the fact that it deal with IPF.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
In addition to Cetin's advice

can I ask why you use Outlook for your own email, and the other users use Outlook Express for their accounts?

I recognise that they and you are using different log on accounts for Windows, and you're not Fast Switching, but I have heard elsewhere in these forums where OE sometimes does not completely close down, (but I cannot remember the problems or symptons).

I just wonder if there is a conflict between Outlook and OE.

If so, is there any reason why you cannot switch to OE yourself?

Mark

- Collapse -
re: POP3 issue - why you cannot switch to OE yourself

I would lose the calendar, tasks, and rules (filtering) capabilities that is in outlook, which I use a lot. It has better editing capabilities, which I use a lot. It's just a better, more complete product in my opinion. I have not recommended or set it up for the other users as they don't really need all of it's capabilities. I also use it exclusively at work so I feel more comfortable with it.

- Collapse -
POP3 connection issues after changing user in Win XP -update

This is an update to my original post. I have additional information that I am now pursuing...

I used Windows Task Manager to capture all the processes running when POP3 access was allowed, and when it was not allowed. The difference in the list between when POP3 access was allowed and when it wasn't is there are two additional processes in the list when it works:

opscan.exe
wuauclt.exe

Some Internet searching gave me this information on the two programs:

Process File: opscan or opscan.exe
Process Name: Norton AntiVirus

Description:
opscan.exe belongs to the Norton AntiVirus Out of Process Scan Server, which prevents 3rd party applications from interacting with this product. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Process File: wuauclt or wuauclt.exe
Process Name: AutoUpdate for WindowsME

Description:
Wuauclt.exe is a process managing automatic updates for Windows. This process continuously checks for the latest updates by going online. This process should not be removed if you want to get informed about new updates.

So now I have to try and figure out why those programs are running when one of the other users is logged in, but then are NOT running after they log out and I log in.

I also discovered that I can re-create the problem of no POP3 access when first logged in as myself and have used Outlook 2002, then log off, and log on as one of the other users and launch Outlook Express. I had thought this worked, but it obviously has the same issue (at least some of the time). But I think that once I figure out how to get opscan.exe and maybe wuauclt.exe to execute when logging in ALL the time, my problems will be solved.

CNET Forums

Forum Info