Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pop-ups; Spyware; Malware; etc

by Mac McMullen / July 14, 2005 11:44 AM PDT

If you're like me, even though you have been reasonably effective at blocking pop-up ads, you've probably seen a pop-up or two that starts out with some kind of ''WARNING'',
and goes on to suggest that malware is probably slowing down your computer, and then offers a quick ''free'' download that will scan your computer. It has the appropriate display that would indicate that scanning is taking place, and is recording ''hundreds'' of hits, and indicting that each is ''extreme risk''. After an appropriate period of time, the 'scanning' will complete. There will be a ''Remove'' button prominately displayed. BUT, to remove you must first 'register'. To register you must BUY the program. A real bait and switch effort.

Some experts have suggested that the ''scanning and recording'' is nothing more than a modern day version of the old medicine man, or shell game, as no scanning was actually being done.

Don't fall for some slick marketing ploy. Don't let yourself be scared into buying and installing a program that you might not actually need in the first place. A program that probably won't do a job any better than a 'free' program that might be available, if in fact you feel you need such protection. If you have an interest in a software program, 'google' it up and do a little homework.

Here is a fairly long read on this matter, but it covers most of the bases:

http://www.pcworldmalta.com/archive/iss60/poordef.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pop-ups; Spyware; Malware; etc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pop-ups; Spyware; Malware; etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never see popups with Firefox...
by EdH / July 14, 2005 12:06 PM PDT

except for ones I specifically "ask" for.

Collapse -
Use Firefox also........
by Mac McMullen / July 14, 2005 12:27 PM PDT

and today got one for "Spyware Stormer", which prompted
the initial message.

Collapse -
Do you have AdBlock installed?
by EdH / July 14, 2005 8:14 PM PDT

Also, there are some ideas on this page you might use:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html

To block pop-ups from plugins, open your Firefox 1.0 or 1.0.1 browser, type about:config in the address field. Right-click in the resulting config page somewhere and select New -> Interger. Type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins in the resulting dialog, hit OK, type 2 in the next dialog and you're all set.

There's a lot you can tweak with about:config. You can speed up Firefox considerably by changing some settings:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8007.htm

Read all the posts because there's some disagreement about what values are best to use.

Collapse -
Thanks..............
by Mac McMullen / July 14, 2005 9:15 PM PDT

Wish I could recall what exactly I was doing when that
dialog box dropped in, but, for the one or two that slip
thru, I'm not too concerned at the moment. Will file your
message for future use just in case. Thanks.

Collapse -
And if you upgrade to Firefox 1.0.5 (which you should),...
by Paul C / July 14, 2005 11:42 PM PDT

...you'll discover that all your extensions will NOT work. 1.0.5 closes some significant security holes in Firefox, but after reviewing the extensions at the Firefox web page, AFAIK all of them will have to be recoded to work in the new version...

Collapse -
Stupid Question
by gooslojo / July 15, 2005 1:04 AM PDT

I just installed Firefox 1.0.5 last night.How do I change the time next to each post back to 24 Hr mode?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'll wait until the extensions are updated.
by EdH / July 15, 2005 8:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Drudgreport.com
by duckman / July 14, 2005 12:45 PM PDT

is the only site (even with FireFox) that I get popups. I just ignore them

Collapse -
Great Site For Removal and Help....
by gooslojo / July 14, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

Spyware/malware info and good people who specialize in reading and deciphering your scan logs...be it Hijack This,Trojan Hunter,Sysclean, or MWAV, to name a few.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I use Opera....Never any Pop ups
by Rolway / July 15, 2005 2:12 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!