Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Pop Ups Ruining My Life!

by redrover1958 / October 31, 2004 10:02 PM PST

Help - I have installed Ad-aware; but it doesn't seem to really stop anything. I have some nasty "dog" icon on my toolbar that hijacks everything and I can't get rid of it. What are the steps to secure my system more firmly through Windows XP. I haven't installed Service Pack 2 yet. AND I have a problem with my flat screen looking really "wavy" when I scroll up and down. HELP PLEASE?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pop Ups Ruining My Life!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pop Ups Ruining My Life!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Pop Ups Ruining My Life!
by Coryphaeus / October 31, 2004 10:35 PM PST

Add two more to your list, Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search and Destroy. Search Google, they're free.

Popups - Download and install the Google Toolbar. It stops popups cold.

Another note - Newer popups are run using Flash. Spyware Blaster has a Flashkiller setting. It will block the new Flash popups. But it also blocks any Flash that may run from a legitimate site. You'll have to experiment with what you want to see and what you don't.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 1, 2004 12:46 AM PST

Redrover, I suspect your have been hijacked or have other malware on your system. First I recommend cleaning up your system using the tools recommended in "Virus and Security Alerts" forum. Suggest you post there as maybe you will receive better help for the problem.

Secondly you can avoid some of these nasties in the future by downloading SP-2 or ordering the free CD from Microsoft. Do not attempt to install SP-2 until your computer is cleared of the malware. But sooner or later you will need too as older SP's will not be supported or new fixes issued for them.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
by Miss Tish / November 4, 2004 2:53 AM PST

I recently downloaded the Microsoft Service Pack 2 and it's great! It stops all the pop-ups. If there are sites you actually want them you change the settings to allow them.

Of course, as already mentioned, you could also download the MSN or Yahoo toolbars that block them as well.

Collapse -
flat screen looking really "wavy"
by billzhills / November 4, 2004 3:38 AM PST

redrover,

Check your video drivers first.

The in Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced
Open the troubleshoot tab.

You will want to slow down Hardware acceleration.
Had the same problem on install of new video card and third monitor.

Spy-ware/virus mentioned in the other post may also have an effect. Run you scans in Safe Mode I have found this gets the best results. Also turn off system restore to remove all restore points. Some say don't do this or it is unnecessary.... but what happens if you restore the pest.

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!