Computer Help forum

General discussion

POP UP Misery ...AG2009?....Is this malware?

Hi,

I have a Win 2000 pc w/ a linksys wireless adapter. Everything seemed fine since Feb of this year. Some how, all of the sudden, as of yesterday, it is super slow and has constant popups. I quess my son installedsomething? I tried to find a free spyware/antivirus solution and somehow installed " AG2009" it's looks like a Microsoft Security thing or is it?...I CANNOT disable it or uninstall it. It constantly pops up keeps telling me to register and pops itself up evey few minutes, making it impossible to do anything. I can't even get onto the web to download anything to help! There (2) icons on the task bar showing a multi colored shield and a red shield with a white x, you cannot do anything with these It keeps asking me to register. I don't see the Microsoft name anywhere either. I even tried to reinstall Win 2000 thinking it would wipe out everything...but....everything came back? So, how can I get rid of this "AG2009" and why isn't a reinstall of Win 2000 wipeing things out. I've spent so many hours on this...It's an older Pc, but it's for my 4 year old son who loves it. I appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: POP UP Misery ...AG2009?....Is this malware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: POP UP Misery ...AG2009?....Is this malware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
kill the "AG2009" process with your Taskmanager ...

In reply to: POP UP Misery ...AG2009?....Is this malware?

Collapse -
Have you tried Google?

In reply to: POP UP Misery ...AG2009?....Is this malware?

Have you tried using Google to find out what that process is? Just enter the process name into the search box, and see what pops up. That should tell you if it's some kind of malware or a legitimate process.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.