Computer Help forum

General discussion

Pop up box won't go away

by ITkid / March 12, 2008 11:27 AM PDT

Hi all, I have a pop up box on my moms pc that won't go away, it doesn't seem to be messing with anything, it's just annoying. It is a small box that says " c:/windows/ch0a54~.dat, data file does not exist" note thats a zero not the letter o . I googled it and it didn't come up with anyting, does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pop up box won't go away
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pop up box won't go away
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First thoughts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 9:11 PM PDT

Does this appear at Startup, or other times? If other times, when?

If it appears at Startup goto Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK. In the System Configuration Utility goto the Startup tab and look for an entry related to this c:/windows/ch0a54~.dat

If you find one, de-select it. Click Apply then OK. You will get a warning message about restarting, and when you do restart you will see an information window about selective startup. That window can be suppressed from within the window itself.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Not at start up
by ITkid / March 14, 2008 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: First thoughts

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

It pops up like maybe about fifteen mins after the computer has been started and my mom is searching the net, I tried typing in that in run and it can't find anything. Could it be a bug or something?

Collapse -
Strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Not at start up

Obviously Windows is trying to do something, but a file for that is missing, ie the file ch0a54~.dat in the Windows folder. Like you say, there's no trace of anything like that in Google.

It doesn't sound critical or you would have seen some sort of effects. Try this. Open up the Task Manager by right clicking the Taskbar and selecting Task Manager. Click the Processes tab.

Leave that open but perhaps move it to one side so you can still work on the computer. Then, when this popup appears again see which process has started in the Task Manager. You may want to click the Image Name column header to organize the list in alpha order.

Let us know what that process name is. You can confirm it is that one by watching the list as you close the popup. If that process disappears, you have the right one.

Mark

Collapse -
Found it!
by ITkid / March 24, 2008 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange

Well actually my brother found it, it was from a website builder program that my mom had recently un-installed. We haven't seen it pop in like a few days now. So I guess the problem is solved. =) thanks everyone!

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you found it, and thanks for telling us.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Found it!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.