Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Poor Video Quality

I recently bought a Sony TRV33 camcorder and I am having problems with the video quality when I capture the video on to my PC. When I burn the captured video onto DVD and watch it on TV, the picture is very ?pixeled? and the quality is poor. I know the problem is not with the camera itself because I tried using another TRV33 and got the same results. I have followed the instructions that came with the camera to the letter and I use a Firewire connection to connect the camera to the PC.

I have tried using different capturing software, including the Image Transfer software supplied with the camera, Ulead VideoStudio 6, and NeroVision. I was able to get better results with the Ulead and Nero software (using the DVD format selection), but the quality is still not as good as if I were to take a Hi8 video and tape it on to VHS.

Am I doing something wrong or is there really a difference in the software that I use? Is there a certain setting that will allow the picture to be clearer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor Video Quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor Video Quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are the capture specifications.

In reply to: Poor Video Quality

I'm thinking frame size and frames per second. How does the captured video look before its rendered? If it looks good in the capture software, then the rendering and/or burning is going awry.

Collapse -
Re: What are the capture specifications.

In reply to: What are the capture specifications.

When I view the captured video on the PC, there is still some pixelization when I maximize the screen. The least amount of pixelization occurs when I use the DV-AVI format, but there is still a noticable difference between the video and "regular" video.

Collapse -
Re: What are the capture specifications...really!

In reply to: Re: What are the capture specifications.

My capture software defaults to capture specs of 720x480x32 at 29.97 frames per second. It previews video at 360x240x32 at 29.97 fps. What resolution is your capture operating at? How about the camera?

Collapse -
720x480x32...

In reply to: Re: What are the capture specifications...really!

The problem I'm hearing today is that many expected such images (720x480x32) to not look pixelated on there PC. Ooops.

As to the DVD, you need to take great care with the compression and may find consumer offerings to not be that great.

When you want to move out of consumer grade software, go to a trade show where you can see Avid and other products.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What are the capture specifications...really!

Capture specs are as follows:

NTSC drop frame (29.97 fps)
Field order A
MPEG files
24 Bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
(DVD-NTSC)
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 6000 kbps)
Audio data rate: 224 kbps
Layer 2, 48 kHz, Joint stereo

Not sure about the camera - it's whatever the factory settings are.

Collapse -
How big is the output file from a one hour capture, and

what is the output file format?

Collapse -
Re: How big is the output file from a one hour capture, and

In reply to: How big is the output file from a one hour capture, and

A 45 minute video ended up being about a 400 MB file in an MPEG format.

Collapse -
That's what your problem is. There is far too much

In reply to: Re: How big is the output file from a one hour capture, and

compression in either the capture or rendering. An mpeg 2 (DVD quality) file would be over 2 gigabytes for one hour of video.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.