PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Poor video card resolution...

I built my computer two years ago, and it's a great machine. The whole thing runs like a dream. The video card I have installed is an ATI Radeon X1600/1650. Recently, I moved and I now have my PC connected to two monitors: my usual monitor, an LG, on which the graphics are fantastic; and I am also now using a 32 inch widescreen Insignia TV monitor as well.

I've been using the same video card for the past two years, but when I connected it to the TV monitor, the resolution was awful. Text is fuzzy to the point of being unreadable, and the graphics for my usual PC games is really, really sub-par. It is so bad that it hardly makes sense to use the TV monitor.

I tried updating the drivers, but to no avail. I read here and there that there was no driver for my card that would fix the resolution problem. Thus, I'm in the market for a new video card. It's about that time, anyway.

My question is, what should I be looking for in a video card in the market now to make sure it will fix the resolution problem? I've read that a lot of video cards now are capable of widescreen resolutions specifically for using TVs as computer monitors, but I don't know what I should be looking for in the specs. Can someone give me some advice? Or tell me that I'm an idiot and there's an easy fix for my current video card's woes?

Thanks all!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor video card resolution...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor video card resolution...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Why not check with ATI ??

In reply to: Poor video card resolution...

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: Why not check with ATI ??

Why not check with ATI about my resolution problem? As in, e-mail them? Like I said, I've tried installing new and old drivers, and nothing has fixed it.

But sure--I'll e-mail ATI. Thanks for the tip.

Still looking for input, however.

Collapse -
What is the resolution of your tv

In reply to: Thank you.

maybe it's the problem not the video card. Have you used it before and had a good picture?

Collapse -
1024 x 768

In reply to: What is the resolution of your tv

As a television, the picture was great. And pictures--such as desktop backgrounds--show up pretty well. It's just text and gaming that are awful.

My boyfriend kept telling me that the resolution was something like 1300 x 700, but I just checked it and it's 1024 x 768 right now.

Another strange thing about the resolution is that if you go any higher than 1024 x 768, the desktop doesn't adjust to fit the screen. Instead, you would have to move the mouse toward one of the edges of the screen and it will scroll to show you the whole image.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.