Samsung forum

Question

poor sound quality on home cinema via TV

by 2003amir / July 27, 2013 8:51 PM PDT

I have a samsung UE40F8000 tv, and samung HT-F5500 home cinema system.

The TV is connected via network cable to the router, and outputs to the home cinema via ARC/HDMI cable [speed upto 6.6 Gbps]. Anynet is on. When using the TV to select music, the sound is reasonable from the home cinema.

However when I connect the home cinema to the router, and use it to select the same music, it is much richer, and better.

This loss of sound quality is the same when I play music from a USB via the TV, rather than direct from the home cinema.

Samsung UK have not been much help
-first i was told to reset the devices
-then told that loss of quailty is expected
-then to get a higher speed HDMI cable

I am wondering if it is because I have not connected a digital optical cable. Will that solve this?

But will that mean that I lose the functionality of anynet for the homecinema functions, and turning on/off with the TV?

Thanks for any tips

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: poor sound quality on home cinema via TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: poor sound quality on home cinema via TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly you are right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

As pass through can be degraded ON PURPOSE due to industry agreements as well as ARC limits, my first thought is to get the optical cable.

But this does not get around the HDCP mandate that if a device has speakers then audio on pass-through shall be degraded to stereo. USB however is not pass-through so usually you don't hear this there. So my thought is to get the optical.

-> No one likes to discuss the industry's HDMI and HDCP rules and how these rules turn what should work into a consumer issue.
Bob

Collapse -
So are you...
by 2003amir / August 5, 2013 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly you are right.

Thanks for replying.

Very helpful to know that the pass through can be degraded on purpose. I won't spend endless time trying to change settings, or return for warranty inspections

Sound is not that bad, but when you play direct via the home cinema it becomes noticeable.

I tried an optical cable, and the sound quality is the same as via HDMI/ARC from the TV, but I lose the anynet functionality. (And on checking the HDMI is actually a high speed 10.3Gbps cable.)

Will have to settle for a network cable into the home cinema, and lose some of the functions available via the TV

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.