Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Poor Signal Strength on Linksys WRT54GH

by maliusmaximus / October 11, 2011 1:57 PM PDT

Hi all, I have a Linksys WRT54GH.
The signal strength is extremely poor. 50% after about 1 metre. Not visible after about 5-6 metres (direct line of sight).
Have tried all standard fixes:
Have updated to the latest firmware, factory reset and power cycled.
There are no other wireless networks appliances or devices that would provide interference.
Have experimented with channels, thresholds, transmit type,
encrypted/open, intervals etc (every option available in standard
firmware)..No luck.
All software and drivers are up to date, and relocating the modem does not help.
I've opened the router up and all the internal components look fine. No blown capacitors, scorching or breaks.
I suspect the issue is thus due to the signal transmit strength being
set low, however this is not something I can check using the standard
firmware.
The default transmit stringth is about 17MW +- 1.5 so if it's transmitting properly it should have a lot more range.
Additionally WRT Custom firmware is not an option because the
flash memory is only 2Mb.
On the WRT54G, you can parse a linux kernel command through Ping to
boost signal strength. The same command doesn't work on the WRT54GH
however.
I'd like to know where I can go from here. Cisco forums suggested I post on a 3rd party site which is what I'm doing now.
I don't consider buying a new router to be a "solution".
Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor Signal Strength on Linksys WRT54GH
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor Signal Strength on Linksys WRT54GH
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
pc/router
by bill012 / October 11, 2011 10:07 PM PDT

I assume you have tried multiple pc type devices with the router to show its the router.

This sounds like a defective router. I would have guessed you could have gotten a router with the wrong country since some countries do not allow the same transmit power but when you have issues at 1 meter that's not it.

Most routers that do not have replaceable antenna and are not trying to save power transmit at maximum signal levels and you normally cannot even think to change that. Most the time you load the custom firmware to REDUCE the power not increase it.

In their quest to cut costs many new routers have dumbed everything down and only included the most basic features. It is unlikely there are any user accessible commands to change the radio. Many of these options if they exist can only be changed by solder in a jtag cable... assuming it has a jtag port in the first place.

On a hardware side the only fixable thing would be if somehow the internal antenna was detached from the radio.

Most these routers had a three year warranty but if you have taken it apart that may not be a option.

Collapse -
re
by maliusmaximus / October 12, 2011 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: pc/router

Thanks for responding. Finally someone who knows what they're talking about Happy
Yup tried multiple devices. PCs, blackberries, iphones, laptops.
The router is out of warranty so I can hack at it all I like.
There's no Jtag port unfortunately.
The antenna is a caltronics internal antenna, connected directly to the PCB. There doesn't appear to be any break in the circuitry between it and the radio.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?