Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Poor quality

Why is it that when I watch a video from my digital camcorder in the tv its quality is better than in the cam itself and when I watch it in my pc (through the USB 2.0) its quality is poor and its resolution is small?

Can I do something about it?

(My camcorder is Sony DCR-TRV14E PAL)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Poor quality

In reply to: Poor quality

The LCD on the camcorder is some number of pixels and doesn't have a high contrast capability. It's scaled pricewise to provide a view, nothing more.

As to the PC, you may find a better view if you put the video on DVD and play it back there. Playback via a video editor may not optimize the preview so to provide editing speed. The editor software has to be able to run on low speed PCs so the rendering will be basic.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Poor quality

So there's no way I can get a good quality movie from my camcorder?

Collapse -

Thst is a different question. I get TV quality video from my DVCAM because that's the quality it records at. It looks pretty much like the TV once I save it to DVD or an AVI (which my video editor exports.)

In the software that captures the video from the DVCAM, it's not a great display. The reason (again) is simple. Since the video editor must run on dog slow machines, you can't antialise or fix up the video image in the editor. You go for pure speed and leave the fixup to the final output.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Collapse -

Thanks but the AVI and the MPEG exports are in the same quality...

Collapse -

That's odd. But let me share I use the software supplied with my JVC (and other...) to do the capture and then off to DVD with Ulead. The file on the DVD is MPEG2 and looks fine on TV or PC.

Remember to run it at 1 to 1 pixels or else the video player's ability to antialise may show.

Also, another counterintuitive video setting is that you must set the PC video to millions of colors. 16 or less bit video settings may cause the video to look odd.

Bob

Collapse -

What do you mean by "and then off to DVD"?

"set the PC video to millions of colors" - I don't have that kind of options in the software (Sony ImageMixer)

Collapse -

Ok, I've managed to get an output video with much better quality using the Capture Mode in VirtualDub.

If you know a better video software that supports capturing from USB plz let me know.

Thanks

Collapse -
Capture is such..

Sorry, I stopped evaluating when I found solutions.

I noted Virtual Dub since it's very basic and won't muck with the video unless you tell it to.

Some won't like it since it's not very glitzy.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.