General discussion

Poor Print Quality under Snow Leopard

I have a 24" iMac (purchased last spring) and an HP Deskjet 842C inkjet printer. The photo print quality was quite good under Leopard, but is very poor under Snow Leopard (I'm using the latest updated version 10.6.1 with the Gutenprint print driver, 5.2.3). The images have a noticeable bluish cast, and considerable banding. Changing the print quality and paper type does not solve the problem, in fact, the image quality usually suffers. HP has not updated the drivers since 2005. Since printing is fine under Leopard is there a way to use the Leopard print drivers with SL? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Poor Print Quality under Snow Leopard
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Poor Print Quality under Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
banding is usually caused by the printer

and not by the drivers.
Usually it is the lack of one color that mucks things up

P

- Collapse -
Re: Banding

Thanks for the reply.

However, in this case, I think the problem is definitely caused by the driver because when I boot into Leopard, and use the old drivers, the banding and color problems go away. Of course it's a pain in the patootie to reboot the computer just to print a picture!

Thanks for the help. though. Any other ideas?

- Collapse -
Sorry,

Hopefully the manufactures will produce a decent driver for their printer soon

P

- Collapse -
there is a new version

Check out 5.2.4 released more than a month ago. Hopefully, this would address your issue. I think HP has very recently updated drivers for SL.

- Collapse -
Re: Printing Problems

Sounds interesting, but is 5.2.4 a driver for the HP 842C? How do I download it and install it? When I go to the HP downloads page, the latest driver I see for this printer is V 2.7.1 dated 05-2005.

thanks,
Howard

- Collapse -
download site
- Collapse -
Re: download site

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the drivers and installed them. Alas, the problem remains. I'm starting to think that I simple need a new (more modern) printer.

- Collapse -
banding

I have a hard time believing that the driver could make this happen. I suspect the heads may be dirty or the ink inadequate. Did you try cleaning the heads and replace ink (I use only brand name, never refurbished)?

- Collapse -
Re:banding

I suppose you could be right. I am using 3rd party inks, but I have cleaned the heads and re-aligned them. Although the banding is gone with the old Leopard drivers, I guess it could be that the new drivers might be more sensitive to the ink used. Something like that?

I have a friend with an HP 932 printer, just a little younger, I think, and he shows no banding when he prints the same picts I do. I might try his printer on my computer just to make sure.

Thanks again for you post and all you help,
Howard

- Collapse -
I guess, this is the right strategy

As I said, I have no experience with third-party inks. A long time ago, I started buying refurbished ink cartridges for an Apple LaserWriter. Half of them failed and I stopped dealing with them. Although for heavy load, I agree this could cost a fortune dealing with brand name inks.
Good luck!

CNET Forums