Computer Help forum

General discussion

Poor, Poor Computer HELP!

I was trying to reformat an older computer with a newer OS and now I have a blank screen no matter what I do. The story begins:
AMD Athlon Processor 600MHz w/Enhanced 3DNowe' tech
32 MB PC100 SDRAM and 64MB PC100 SDRAM
SlotA MATX Athlon Motherboard w/integrated Audio
20GB ATA 66 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Nvidia Vanta 2X/4X AGP Video Card w/8MB Video Memory

The computer came in 1999 with 98SE installed and I upgraded to ME as soon as it came available.

I wanted to upgrade to XP but decided, instead, to reformat the hard drive and install XP new. I realize now that I should have checked the hardware to see if it could handle XP but I didn't and I can't change that now.

I inserted the XP disk, exited out of the installation window and restarted the computer. I told it to boot from the CD drive and everything went as expected. Once the old partition was deleted and a new one was ready for formatting, I got it started. It began the formatting process as expected and I walked away to take care of a pressing matter. When I returned, the monitor was black and the keyboard was non-reactive. I tried restarting but it made no difference. Is this computer kaput?

Thank you in advance,
Leah Corsaro

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor, Poor Computer HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor, Poor Computer HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Total failure of a computer is

In reply to: Poor, Poor Computer HELP!

a very unlikely thing. Some component part normally fail. Replacing that item gets the computer working again.

Why you upgraded to ME is beyond me but that's water over the dam. LOL

Is this a proprietary computer such as a Compaq, Gateway, Dell or some such thing??? If yes the reformatting of the drive is likely the cause of your problem. They usually had hidden partitions on the drive with all types of information related to running the computer stored on it.

So before we do much more we must know the lineage of the system.

Collapse -
What do you get on screen

In reply to: Total failure of a computer is

when you boot from win98 floppy boot disk?

Collapse -
Nothing

In reply to: What do you get on screen

The screen stays black. Is it the video card? Did it get burned out?

Collapse -
Now we need to know exactly

In reply to: Nothing

what happens when you hit the power button. What fans turn on and stay on?? What LED's illuminate?

Do you get any Beeps???

Yes loss of the video card is a possibility, but first lets make sure that the Power Supply didn't die. LOL

You didn't reply to the question re what make of computer.

Collapse -
Systemax

In reply to: Now we need to know exactly

Systemax is the make. When I turn the tower on,

WOW~! I just went to turn the computer on so I could answer your question and it came up, picture and all and continued to load Windows XP! What is THAT about?

Leah

Collapse -
wonderful world of computers!!!!!!!

In reply to: Systemax

Yours id not to reason, yours is but to do or use it. LOL

Collapse -
All Better Now

In reply to: wonderful world of computers!!!!!!!

Isn't that insane? I think XP was just too much for the old computer to do all in one go, kind of like too many people all trying to get through a small door at once. They get all jammed up and no one gets through. I think turning it off, unplugging everything and letting it sit for a day, allowed it to cool off and then pick up where it left off with all it's ducks in a row instead of flocking all over the place, as it were. :o)

At any rate, the computer is up and running cheerfully and there is a delighted family of ten eagerly awaiting their first computer. Yay!

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice!!!

Leah

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.