TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Poor picture w/ Samsung HCP4241W

by karamjot / October 24, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

Hi everyone - I get poor picture quality with my Samsung HCP4241W. The picture is brown hazy (grainy) and has equi-distant vertical lines.

Samsung sent a technician who to my horror told me that this is a problem with all Samsung sets of this model. Huh!? Is that true? Anyone else out there having similar problems.

Please help!

Karam (my first post!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor picture w/ Samsung HCP4241W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor picture w/ Samsung HCP4241W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suppose to be exact same electronics for AKAI PT4299HD
by Rx_ / November 6, 2005 8:37 AM PST

According to the industry e-rags, this is suppose to be the exact same electronics sold under a different brand name. They do look the same on the photos.
I found mine to be bright and colorful.
Now, from a 60 degree side view it does turn gray as I expect any rear projection sysem would.
It is not as bright as a plasma to be sure.
But, Circuit City, when they carried them, sold them for $655 after rebates. Not bad for a 1080i 42" screen!
There are no vertical lines.
I use Comcast digital cable box with the multi-wire component wires in the side. The "AIR" input using the standard TV coax is a much poorer quality.
I use my X-Box with the "component" multi-wire output adapter to play DVD's. I am very impressed.
Hope that helps

Collapse -
Photograph of picture quality
by karamjot / November 6, 2005 9:07 AM PST
Collapse -
That is much poorer quality than I have
by Rx_ / December 4, 2005 2:14 PM PST

I use Comcast digiatal cable with the multiple cables in the high def port. I also use the X-box (old one) with the HDTV module in the second input.

Don't think expenisve cables are worth the money (for short distances) but those should not be bad.

Are you sure the source is on the high def setting? I put my component VCR into an input, and the banding reminded me of what I see when it is there.

I will try to get a photo posted later this week.

This was a great $750 set.
Some other sites indicate that they either work well out of the box or they don't, and that the service is not all that great.

Collapse -
by karamjot / December 4, 2005 11:08 PM PST

The photograph is that of DVD picture quality. I'm not sure what HD picture looks like yet. I've ordered the HD set top box from Cable provider here in Canada.

A technician replaced the video PCB and that's made a little difference.

I'd like to see what your picture quality looks like. Thanks for replying!

Collapse -
Your Picture Shows A DVD Input...Same On Other Inputs?
by Psych Doc / December 5, 2005 12:45 AM PST

...If not, it may be something to do with the way you have your DVD hooked up.

Collapse -
Re: Your Picture Shows A DVD Input...Same On Other Inputs?
by karamjot / December 5, 2005 6:21 AM PST

i'm using monster component cables. anything specific you were looking for?

i had the connections verified by couple of technicians.

Collapse -
by jcrobso / November 7, 2005 12:01 AM PST

I saw this model in a store a few months ago and the picture look very good.
What are you using for a source?? John

Collapse -
by karamjot / November 7, 2005 1:25 AM PST

Thanks for your reply John.

I've seen HD signal on the same model at Future Shop (Canada) and there were no problems.

The poor picture quality is with BOTH DVD playback and cable. I'm using Monster Component Cables between the TV and the (Panasonic) DVD player.

The Samsung/RayJac technicians have said that the power supply or the cables are not the source of the problem.

I've posted a photograph of the picture quality at http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/attachment.php?attachmentid=354

I'm completely dumbfounded. :S

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.