Desktops forum

General discussion

poor performance with Dell Studio D540

by jmtarrant / February 2, 2009 8:40 AM PST

I just bought a Dell Studio D540 (Intel Core 2 quad processor Q9400 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit Vista) specifically to speed up the data analysis that I'm doing with Matlab. The program I wrote involves a lot of Fourier transforms etc, it takes about an hour to run on my PC at home, an HP s3500f (AMD Athlon dual core 5400 2.8 Ghz, 6 GB RAM, 64 bit Vista), but over 2 hours on my Dell Studio.
According to the benchmarks on the cnet reviews the Dell should be faster than the HP or at least comparable, it should definitely not take twice as long. There has to be something seriously wrong with this system. As a comparison, the program takes about 1 hour 50 mins to run on an old 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 in the lab.
I've tried to get help from Dell but they said it was a software problem & it's not covered by the warranty.
Any ideas for why I'm getting this truly abysmal performance would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: poor performance with Dell Studio D540
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: poor performance with Dell Studio D540
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compare the OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 12:04 AM PST

Do you remember the old "Windows Thunking" discussions? You may want to ask for both Vista 32 and XP Pro (32 bit.)
Bob

Collapse -
same OS on HP seems fine
by jmtarrant / February 3, 2009 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Compare the OS.

My HP system also has 64 bit Vista. The Matlab program takes about an hour on this system, which seems reasonable, there's a lot of math.
The cnet benchmark specs gave these 2 systems comparable performance, although the Dell should be faster, all tests were done with 64 bit Vista (if I remember correctly).
The main difference between the HP & the Dell is the processor, but that shouldn't lead to such a vast difference in performance (1 hr on the HP vs 2 hrs on the Dell), should it?

Collapse -
Compare benchmarks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 3:10 AM PST

You may be right. Look up CPUZ to poke around and see not only the CPU speed but memory timings.

One poor guy had a lightning fast CPU but dog slow RAM.

In answer to your question. Yes.
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?