Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: Which Web browser do you primarily use?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 28, 2010 12:21 AM PDT

Which Web browser do you primarily use?

-Microsoft Internet Explorer (Which version and why?)
-Mozilla Firefox (Which version and why?)
-Google Chrome (Which version and why?)
-Apple Safari (Which version and why?)
-Opera (Which version and why?)
-Other (Which one is it?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Which Web browser do you primarily use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Which Web browser do you primarily use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Browsers
by manmur / May 28, 2010 9:23 AM PDT

I have use Firefox as my primary browser for a long time. I have the most up to date version (3.6.3)

I liked the customization of Firefox

About three weeks ago, I switched to Google Chrome (5.0.375.55)

I like the speed and the layout. At first I was going to try it out for a week. Almost three weeks later I am now using it as my primary browser. I am keeping Firefox though as a back up.

manmur

Collapse -
IE8
by msgale / May 28, 2010 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Browsers

Because it works.

Collapse -
google chrome
by seanwoody / May 29, 2010 9:08 AM PDT

google chrome is the job fast and efficiant, when i leave kids at my laptop chrome never seems to bring in stupid search bars and spyware where as IE gets riddled

Collapse -
Browsers
by larry5588 / May 31, 2010 2:23 AM PDT

IE8

Collapse -
Which Brower Do You (I) Use?
by paulp575 / May 28, 2010 9:44 AM PDT

I am currently running Firefox v3.6.3 on Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
I haven't had any issues with this version, but also do not have a lot of add-ons/extensions in use (only 16).

Collapse -
Opera 10
by scott_789 / May 28, 2010 10:19 AM PDT

only 1% Opera users so far, huh? - I use it on both my Win7 and Linux (64-bit) - there are minor issues on my Linux, notably Flashplayer doesn't work as well as it does on Firefox (videos work okay, some Flash games don't work well though)

- but of course you can put a button in the toolbar to open any page in Ffx (without using an add-on!)

paulp575 ..."but also do not have a lot of add-ons/extensions in use (only 16)" Shocked - wow! - I'd consider that excessive!

- I figured long ago that there may be some security risk with them, so I always kept them to an absolute minimum. Then I seen this the other day (maybe in CNet newsletter?) Video: Firefox extension vulnerabilities may increase malware risk

of course including NoScript in the list would most likely minimize the risk

Opera is just much less of a resource hog and more secure. Works for me anyway!

Collapse -
(NT) oops - I meant USING NoScript would minimize risk
by scott_789 / May 28, 2010 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Opera 10
Collapse -
Internet Explorer 8
by thljcl / May 28, 2010 10:21 AM PDT

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I was using it before Windows 7 was released. I'm now using it in Windows 7.

Collapse -
IE7
by ancresse / May 28, 2010 10:56 AM PDT

I went back to IE7 because IE8 had severe issues on my system. I have used Firefox. I like Chrome because it's spare, but it wouldn't do things I wanted it to on some websites. So I stick to the tried and true.

Collapse -
Perhaps you can detail the issues you face
by thljcl / May 28, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: IE7

I'm an IE user. I urged everyone who uses IE to use the latest version. I would like to know the issues you face. I will see if I can help you.

Collapse -
Safari, hands down.
by the Otter / May 28, 2010 11:29 AM PDT

I keep trying to find a better browser than Safari, but I keep coming back to old reliable. Firefox is fast, but the RSS implementation sucks. Opera is nice, but slow. Chrome?s system requirements are so ridiculously high that I can?t even run it on my computer. I?ve also tried Camino, Shiira, Webkit, iCab, and many others, but none of them seem to have the speed, simplicity, and all-around enjoyment of use that Safari does.

My 2

Collapse -
I had used Firefox but
by reli37 / May 28, 2010 11:37 AM PDT

I had used Firefox but I seemed to have an inordinate number of crashes and lockups. I switched to Safari and liked it but found quite a few sites that would not accept it. I am now using Chrome and like it but sometimes have to switch to IE8 to open sites (like Windows Update and Federal websites). I keep IE 8 on the computer expressly for that purpose and to have a home page for my wife (My Yahoo and her email) so we don't have to keep signing in and out.

Collapse -
Chrome...
by Doh_1 / May 28, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

I use Chrome at home, and Firefox at work. Since I usually have around 15 or so tabs open at work all the time, if I did that with Chrome, I'd have like one character for each tab name. I find it very strange that the Chrome authors don't address usability issues (aside from enabling adding extensions), just make the browser faster. Speed is great, but not the whole story. I used Chrome some when it first came out, then gave up using it altogether for a few months until they added extensions. At that point I came back to Chrome after a few months of Firefox use at home.

Usability is a big thing for me, fast but not usable isn't a win. Chrome also has a network conflict with Eset Nod32, that was the other reason that I went away from Chrome. Now I'm using Windows Security Essentials (with Malwarebytes and Nod32 as scanners as well), so the conflict isn't so much of a problem.

On the other hand, some web sites only work with IE, so I also have IE8 for those (and Windows Update, of course). But I use it as little as possible, mainly because I haven't found a good way to block ads with it like the Chrome and Firefox ad blocking extensions. Although the Chrome ad blocker can't be as good as the Firefox one, at least you don't have to look at ads, just the empty spaces where they would have been *smile*. And I don't want to run a whole other proxy server-type thing just to block ads on my browsers...who needs more system overhead?

Anyways, I like something about all the browsers that I use, Chrome is speedy but usability-addled. Firefox is medium-speed but very usable. IE8 is fast enough, and usable, but ad-ridden *smile*, even though for some web sites it is the only browser that I have that works.

-Roger

Collapse -
IE 8 AND Chrome, with Windows 7 Pro.
by Tania Grant / May 28, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

IE is more user friendly & works better interfacing with Outlook Office. I can copy/paste using my WORD settings, which Chrome does not recognize. In IE, once I set the font size for my aging eyes, the setting stays put. In Chrome, in every new & different tab, I have to reset the font size so that I can read the text; very annoying.
In IE, if I want to save something to my hard drive, all I do is right click the mouse, click SELECT ALL, then, COPY, open a blank WORD document, and then PASTE. I can then SAVE AS into my hard drive under the appropriate section. Chrome does not know SELECT ALL. I have to laboriously manually sellect, sometimes several times.

With Chrome, I appreciate having the better security. And I've not had any problems with browser crashing, etc. when using either Chrome or IE8. I find IE8 more stable than IE7. I just recently switched back to IE8 because I became frustrated with Chrome. By the way, I wasn't able to find out which version of Chrome I have (Properties don't provide a clue), but it was the latest official release.

Collapse -
It's good to know someone's on my side
by thljcl / May 28, 2010 1:09 PM PDT

I'm too pretty used to Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
Opera 10.53
by M90HQD / May 28, 2010 11:58 AM PDT

I'm using Opera because it's really the best and I love it... It has many integrated great features (especially great clients for Mail, RSS and IRC Chat), it's very fast and it's sooooo stable even if you open 50 huge websites in 50 different tabs...!

+ it's soooooo user friendly and beautiful : http://files.myopera.com/operaton/albums/898009/4-27-2010%209-23-01%20PM.jpg
(Z1-Glass skin in Win7)

1. OPERA
2. firefox or chrome

Silly

Collapse -
IE 6
by Amos16 / May 29, 2010 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Opera 10.53

Am using IE 6, because IE 8 had a popup each time I opened it, telling me that my default search tool had been compromised by a program and I should reset it. Doing that, and the next time the popup reappeared. No effort on behalf of the forum would fix it. So I removed it (which can only be done when you remove SP3 first), reinstalled it, and the popup was back. Reinstalled IE 7, but that too had a disconcerting habit: it appeared and disappeared, like a magician's rabbit. Eventually reverted to IE 6 and am now trying out Firefox. It seems that it, too, has many quirks and it will take time to adjust to. Hopefully, it will work out eventually. Amos

Collapse -
It happens because you don't try to set up IE 8
by thljcl / May 29, 2010 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: IE 6

After setting it up, the question you mentioned simply disapperas

Collapse -
It did not
by Amos16 / May 30, 2010 3:00 AM PDT

It came back and all the best minds of the XP forum could not solve it. It was not malware and seemed to be an MS-generated bug. But I gave up trying. Firefox, for about ten days now, seems to be the answer but I'll try it somewhat longer before I embrace it totally.

Collapse -
hm....
by thljcl / May 30, 2010 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: It did not

Well, I can't say for sure unless I can personally examine the PC you use. What I really believe is it is not by design. I've used Internet Explorer 8 since its release. I've serve others as well. So far I haven't seen such problem. It will be interesting to see what happens. There is still a Windows XP PC remaining in my father's company though my father plans to replace it later this year.

Collapse -
IE8
by Amos16 / May 31, 2010 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: hm....

If you want to really try it, attempt to change the Bing search option from default and bringing in something else as default. The popup is likely to tell you that something corrupted the default search engine and you should reset to Bing. Even if you do, the popup will continue to appear every time you enter IE8. But if you do not want to harm the owner of the XP do not do it. The remedy was extreme: uninstalling SP3, then reinstalling XP over the existing OS from a slipstreamed disk that contained SP2, and eventually reinstalling SP3. Good Luck - Amos

Collapse -
Browser Version...
by Shadowhawk909 / May 28, 2010 12:37 PM PDT

I use *Firefox 3.6.3*... It's completely customizable, and you have over 3500 extensions to choose from (I only use particular ones). I'm a "Community Moderator" on a website and I need to be able to *see Several Windows at the same time*, and move between forums smoothly. Certain Extensions [BLOCK] and prevent junk from loading per page (IE is "weak" where this is concerned), and I can "run 100+ tabs" w/o a single glitch (I'm currently running 35 tabs while typing THIS, lol)...
Coupled w/ a strong FW and A/V, the last 12+yrs have been "smooth-sailing" online :).

Collapse -
Explorer 8 keeps the home nice!!
by woodmanor / May 28, 2010 2:01 PM PDT

I use Explorer 8 because I like it for its easy use for me and it has always been easy to use for my wife. I would try other browsers BUT since I live here I like sleeping in a warm bed! You catch my drift!?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!

Collapse -
I agree with you
by thljcl / May 28, 2010 2:55 PM PDT

I'm looking for more comrade...

Collapse -
Firefox can be SLOOOOOW but has the add-ons I need
by mssusanf / May 28, 2010 5:26 PM PDT

I am using Firefox 3.6.1 most of the time (on various computers running, in order of usage frequency, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows XP, Windows XP Pro, with respectively 2GB Ram, 2GB Ram, 1.5GB Ram with usually a Verizon Fios connection but at times Verizon Evdo Broadband mobile connection.) Sadly, over the past couple/few years, it went from a sleek browser of competitive speed to one of excessive sluggishness and bloat. I do not believe this to be caused by add-ons, at least in my case, as I do not use very many. I have experimented with varying numbers and combinations of add-ons with quite similar results. I've even tried no add-ons at all but saw no discernable speed differences.

From time to time I resort to using IE or Chrome when, for example, I need to do something very quickly, especially when Firefox has many tabs open and is choking on the simplest of actions - like closing a tab or two.

Yes I am a fairly hefty tab user and frequently have 35, 50 or more tabs open at once. And yes I do have good reason to want to use that many tabs or more (has to do with a type of searching and research I frequently do.) This, a big bonus in Firefox, may also be a factor in it's slowness. I don't know - but I have seen Firefox crawling with as few as 12-16 tabs open at once.

As to what add-ons I consider "must haves", these would be Scrapbook, TabMixPlus , and Copy All Urls. I also very much appreciate the built in Session manager and the TabMixPlus version. If Chrome or IE were to have these few features available, as built ins or add-ons, I would likely be more than willing to switch as I am so tired of constant wait time. Sometimes I feel I am back in the days of dial-up connections over a 56k modem. Thats how bad it is.

Oh and also want to mention the crash factor - I've not seen it be that bad with 3.6 but all 3.5 versions were unbearably crashable. What happened to this browser over time? It began so wonderfully!

Collapse -
Which browser
by anniemk123 / May 28, 2010 6:35 PM PDT

I use Firefox 3.6.3 as I find it more reliable than Explorer which tends to freeze.

Collapse -
IE8 dosnt work well with my email and freezes a lot
by littleshotter / May 29, 2010 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Which browser

i agree 100% IE tends to freeze a lot..

Collapse -
Who is your email provider?
by thljcl / May 29, 2010 9:09 AM PDT

I use Windows Live Hotmail for years in IE. It works well to me.

Collapse -
who is your email provider?
by littleshotter / May 29, 2010 10:31 AM PDT

i use windows live in firefox

Collapse -
You are not answering my question
by thljcl / May 29, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

It doesn't concern me though. I was just trying to help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?