Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Poll: Where do you store your precious digital photos?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 1, 2014 10:27 AM PDT
Where do you store your precious digital photos?

-- On hard drives in my computer.
-- On external hard drives.
-- On memory cards.
-- On flash drives.
-- On CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc.
-- On cloud storage.
-- On a photo hosting site.
-- On multiple storage devices.
-- On storage devices and the cloud.
-- Others. (What is it?)

Vote on poll here
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Where do you store your precious digital photos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Where do you store your precious digital photos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
where to store precious digital photos.
by macwildstar / August 1, 2014 12:19 PM PDT

I store mine on 2 hard drives, one internal, one external which is the backup.

I store them by year, month, day, and then I may add a subject to the folder name as well.
Example
2002-02-30-Family reunion
2002-03-01
2007-10-21

Collapse -
iPhoto
by jcallas / August 1, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

I store them on iPhoto on my Mac. It has a back-up on the computer that occurs automatically and on a regular basis.

Collapse -
Where do you store---photos?
by yinan808 / August 1, 2014 1:06 PM PDT

I am a serious amateur photographer and my photos are important to me me.
So I save them to my PC into the Win7 pictures folder and then save them to CD. I also copy them to external hard drives.
Both the hard drives and CDs are stored in a semi secure cabinet outside my main house building in case of fire.

To find one that I want is easy. I have a simple data base created in XL that lists each photo by number and brief description. There is a cross reference to the numbered CD and the file name that it is stored in on the PC hard drive.
It might sound complicated but it isn't. Once the initial set up is complete, all I do is complete all details on the data base whenever I download photos from my camera or smart phone.

My photo file number is automatically created by ZoomBrowser EX.
So I end up with a line file number as follows TRA (main file location) 20140731_Title_001 then a few columns for date, location, description. full PC file location name and CD number.

Cheers

Collapse -
Where do you store your precious digital photos?
by Ronkonkoma / August 6, 2014 2:14 PM PDT

I originally started storing my photos on DVD's and desktop hard drive, then added an an external hard drive, then added Google Picasa. I also keep all the memory cards (they are inexpensive) with the original pictures. On the hard drive and Picasa I sort them by subject, i.e. Trip to Florida, thanksgiving 2012, school programs, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!