Computer Help forum

General discussion

Poll: When your computer has problems, who do you turn to?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 5, 2014 9:22 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: When your computer has problems, who do you turn to?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: When your computer has problems, who do you turn to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
online forums
by DF. / September 5, 2014 10:32 AM PDT

I've had a lot of success over the years with online forums, particularly Malwarebites and Windows.
It gives me a good access to experts and I can then solve the problem.

Collapse -
help
by James Denison / September 5, 2014 12:43 PM PDT

I turn to myself, the internet, or linux forum specific to my need at the time.

Collapse -
who do i turn to for computer problems
by kathyt / September 5, 2014 12:50 PM PDT

while I am very much an amateur with computers, I have used a number of your choices.
It depends on what type of problem I have had. Friends, the Internet and Computer repair shops have all helped me at different times.

Collapse -
Do it myself
by Zouch / September 5, 2014 7:47 PM PDT

Most stuff I can handle straight off, where it's something I've not come across before, I'll chcek online resourced and learn the principles to add it to my skill set.

Sure, it's a learning curve to start with but a real investment for the future. And you donlt have to wait for the shop or your favourite techie to have the time to fix it.

Collapse -
Me, Myself and I(nternet)
by Bob_Meyer / September 6, 2014 12:07 AM PDT

I usually do it myself with advice from the internet. Generally, If I can't do it myself, I replace the computer. And occasionally, truth be told, I try and mess it up to the point that I have to fall back on replacement.

Recently, I took an aftermarket refurbished laptop in to a local computer repair shop to get the DC jack replaced. In the process of repairing it, they managed to 1) kill the motherboard and 2) short out the CMOS clock board when they replaced the mobo. ****.

So, in return for paying $200 for "repairs" they gave me a comparable refurb from their stock. I should have just replaced it with a new one to start with. I should have let them keep the one they trashed and replaced it with a new one. I shouldn't have paid the $200. But I did.

So it goes.

Bob Meyer

Collapse -
Problems
by Bob__B / September 6, 2014 12:19 AM PDT

Me first.
Goggle second.

Then I come to the forums and beg for "pearls of wisdom".

Collapse -
I take it as far as I can
by itsdigger / September 6, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

and than come here to the forums and talk to the pro's.
Lot's-o-knowledge here ...

Digger

Collapse -
One of the majority
by netsiu / September 6, 2014 9:34 AM PDT

Me first, Cnet Forums then Google.
Repair shop last ditch effort but I have never been happy with the way it works afterwards. takes awhile to straighten all the kinks out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?