General discussion

Poll: When your computer has problems, who do you turn to?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Poll: When your computer has problems, who do you turn to?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Poll: When your computer has problems, who do you turn to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
online forums

I've had a lot of success over the years with online forums, particularly Malwarebites and Windows.
It gives me a good access to experts and I can then solve the problem.

- Collapse -
help

I turn to myself, the internet, or linux forum specific to my need at the time.

- Collapse -
who do i turn to for computer problems

while I am very much an amateur with computers, I have used a number of your choices.
It depends on what type of problem I have had. Friends, the Internet and Computer repair shops have all helped me at different times.

- Collapse -
Do it myself

Most stuff I can handle straight off, where it's something I've not come across before, I'll chcek online resourced and learn the principles to add it to my skill set.

Sure, it's a learning curve to start with but a real investment for the future. And you donlt have to wait for the shop or your favourite techie to have the time to fix it.

- Collapse -
Me, Myself and I(nternet)

I usually do it myself with advice from the internet. Generally, If I can't do it myself, I replace the computer. And occasionally, truth be told, I try and mess it up to the point that I have to fall back on replacement.

Recently, I took an aftermarket refurbished laptop in to a local computer repair shop to get the DC jack replaced. In the process of repairing it, they managed to 1) kill the motherboard and 2) short out the CMOS clock board when they replaced the mobo. ****.

So, in return for paying $200 for "repairs" they gave me a comparable refurb from their stock. I should have just replaced it with a new one to start with. I should have let them keep the one they trashed and replaced it with a new one. I shouldn't have paid the $200. But I did.

So it goes.

Bob Meyer

- Collapse -
Problems

Me first.
Goggle second.

Then I come to the forums and beg for "pearls of wisdom".

- Collapse -
I take it as far as I can

and than come here to the forums and talk to the pro's.
Lot's-o-knowledge here ...

Digger

- Collapse -
One of the majority

Me first, Cnet Forums then Google.
Repair shop last ditch effort but I have never been happy with the way it works afterwards. takes awhile to straighten all the kinks out.

CNET Forums