Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: What's your favorite Web browser and why?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 20, 2015 8:58 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What's your favorite Web browser and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What's your favorite Web browser and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
firefox and opera mini
by renegade600 / February 20, 2015 9:12 AM PST

my favorites are firefox for computers and opera mini for mobile devices.

chrome is starting to gain more usage time from me since I run linux and need it for neflix - I am a cord cutter Happy

I found that opera mini gets rid of a lot of graphic annoyances and helps trim my data usage. I will use firefox on somethings.

my top three

for computers
1. firefox
2. chrome
3. opera

for mobile devices
1. opera mini
2. firefox
3. chrome

Collapse -
Opera
by Ronaldlees-2 / March 23, 2015 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: firefox and opera mini

Some browsers have "slick" interfaces as compared to others, which are clunky.

I love a slick interface, but slick interfaces are the result of adding more code (usually). The addition of code tends to work against certain other attributes - such as security. This may or may not be the case in any particular instance.

So, I usually have one of two browsers enabled on any particular computer system I'm using. One for "slick" - and one for "less slick, but maybe more secure". I'm much in favor of two physically separate computers for this.

I am leary of hidden commercial agendas - and tend not to use browsers tied heavily into that kind of ecosystem.

My current list of daily use browsers:

Netsurf (plain but functional),
Opera (slick),
Vivaldi ("slick" on first look),
Special version of Chromium

Less favored in my household:

IE,
Chrome,
Firefox
TorBrowser

Collapse -
A note
by Ronaldlees-2 / March 25, 2015 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Opera

One should note that the behaviour of some of the browsers is dependent upon the platform they been configured/compiled on. I like Netsurf on some platforms, but on other platforms it has been configured (via the respective package repos) to be less secure. I often use my own specially built versions of browsers to avoid this issue. Most browsers suffer from specific platform dependencies (and the resulting varying behaviours) to one extent or another.

Collapse -
Firefox w/Windows, Maxathon w/Android
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2015 9:40 AM PST

On my desktops & laptop Firefox simply works the way it's supposed to and almost never has a problem. On my Android tablet, I like Maxathon best, but use Chrome a good bit too. I use Chrome on my desktops but on my laptop it causes my temperatures to jump 25 degrees, so I avoid Chrome on the laptop. IE11 is simply buggy, buggy, buggy.

Collapse -
my favorite browser
by djnova50 / February 20, 2015 11:01 AM PST

Actually, I don't have a favorite anymore. It used to be Firefox. I am using an old OS that still works for me so I have never felt the need to upgrade to any of the 4 newer ones. Right now, I use SeaMonkey for AARP.org. I use Firefox for most web sites; but, use Safari for sites that Firefox won't work with. Neither Safari nor Firefox will work with AARP.org.

My kids each have Windows computers and they like to use Chrome. As far as I know, they have only used Internet Explorer to download Chrome.

Collapse -
Favourite Browser
by shafiqkhan31 / April 9, 2015 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: my favorite browser

I do not claim to be an expert on the subject. I have used quite a few of the suggested but always came back to IE. t always makes me think that there must be some discernible advantage in using other Browsers and there must be something wrong with the IE.
I never found IE causing any issue with me. I used Opera , Firefox, Chrome and a few others but only for a short time. I do not understand "Buggy Buggy buggy", it may have some significance for some but not for me. I use IE on my main computer though I have Chrome on it but never, well almost never use it. I use Safari on my MacBook and never had any cause for grumble .
I only have very limited use of the browsers ,not more than a couple of hours every day.

Collapse -
my favorite browser
by djnova50 / February 20, 2015 11:09 AM PST

Actually, I don't have a favorite anymore. I am using an old OS that still works for me so I have never felt the need to upgrade to any of the 4 newer ones. My favorite browser used to be Firefox; now, in addition to Firefox, I have to use Safari and SeaMonkey. I've tried some other browsers; but, got rid of them fast. The three browsers on my computer will allow me to navigate or enter text in a comment box. It just depends upon the site.

My kids each have Windows computers and they like to use Chrome. As far as I know, they have only used Internet Explorer to download Chrome.

Collapse -
Firefox by far
by psaulm119 / February 20, 2015 11:28 AM PST

FF and Chrome are about equally as fast, so speed isn't the issue (both are faster than IE).

FF lets me customize the UI and enjoy many other options--much more than Chrome. I know that the new UI for Firefox has gotten a lot of criticism, but I'm loving it. I can customize it more than I ever could with any other browser.

Collapse -
Favorite web browser
by donernst1 / February 20, 2015 2:04 PM PST

I've been using firefox for years. I'm used to it and it works well. Your problems with your current browser can be solved with a Mac. Since 1987, my apple computer has never failed. Try it, you'll like it.

Collapse -
Favorite browser
by kd5 / February 20, 2015 7:17 PM PST
In reply to: Favorite web browser

Used to be Firefox until they started adding so much stuff that it felt bloated and slower than I was used to. Read about Pale Moon (written from the same code as Firefox but lighter and a little faster), so far I have no complaints.

Collapse -
Aviator, the best by far!!!
by dennphill / February 20, 2015 8:54 PM PST

No pop-ups! (Nobody else uses this? Can't believe it.)

Collapse -
Sea Monkey
by The ancient one / February 20, 2015 11:31 PM PST

My first browser was Netscape, then I added Internet Explorer and Opera. Opera became my first choice for quite a few years. But recently I began having problems with it so I no longer have it on the task bar. At various times I have used all of those listed except Avant and Torch. I really don't like any of the most common ones. My default browser is Sea Monkey but I use Flash Peak Slim Browser just as much if not more. The other one that I use is Tor Browser when I wish to move about anonymously.

Collapse -
.. more automatic printing features ..
by feduchin / February 21, 2015 12:07 AM PST

In the long run I prefer Chrome for one primary reason, it's the best for printing stuff. What you need to do to print is the most convenient in my opinion; and mostly I'm printing to pdf.

Otherwise I use Explorer second, but only in those cases, which do happen from time to time, when some website just won't put in the programming for Chrome, WebMD is one of them.

Collapse -
Browser Forum Poll
by TopDog8 / March 14, 2015 8:14 AM PDT

WhiteHat Aviator is my favorite because it is the most secure browser I have used.

Collapse -
Chrome
by LeonardKonrad / April 26, 2015 12:16 AM PDT

It backup my all data.
After a full format of HDD I can keep my Chrome as it was. Nothing lost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.