PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Poll If you had a choice, which hardware would you upgrade?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 13, 2014 10:00 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll If you had a choice, which hardware would you upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll If you had a choice, which hardware would you upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is no easy answer

Adding more memory has no effect unless you are maxing out memory, check task manager.
A bigger power supply would only be necessary should you switch to a new power hungry video card.
Swapping to a faster disk or a SSD would improve performance, but the biggest improvement with a SSD drive would be in boot time and processing of very large files.

Collapse -
Hard drive

A SSD because it will speed up your PC. If you're a gamer, you need the whole shebang.

Collapse -
Other
by btljooz / June 14, 2014 5:02 AM PDT

First, I'd find out which component is causing the slowdown and replace that.

Collapse -
depends a lot on what you already have

If you have enough RAM and the CPU doesn't drag, then either an SSD or a GPU. New motherboard would be foolish unless it also included new faster CPU and faster RAM, and that's 3 items, so motherboard is out.

Collapse -
What I have doesn't need upgrading
by wpgwpg / June 14, 2014 5:54 AM PDT

Both my laptop and primary desktop have 8 GB RAM with I5 CPUs and more disk space than I'll ever need. The only game I play is Spider Solitaire. I'm good for another couple of years AFAIK. I wish my laptop had USB 3, but I have it on my desktop where I need it most. Maybe Windows 9 could provide an upgrade incentive? We'll see. For now Windows 7 is perfectly fine for my needs. I sure don't need that Modern/Metro gar-baje in 8.1!

Collapse -
Choice is easy.
by ilikerhinos / June 14, 2014 11:43 AM PDT

Technology improves every year, and likely will continue that trend in the future. How all that technology connects with each other is the Motherboard, so I'm definitely going to upgrade my Motherboard to make this unit 'future-proof.'

With a new Motherboard supporting future upgrades, it's a clear cut choice. (At least in my opinion.) I want to be able to install new hardware and utilize all that it has to offer. With a new motherboard that will be possible.

By upgrading the motherboard, this leaves time to save money for newer components to install at a later date.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.