HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Poll: If my computer was compromised...

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 31, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
If my computer was compromised physically or through the Internet, I would be:

-- In a world of hurt--my whole life is on it!
-- In pretty bad shape--I have a lot personal data on it.
-- OK. I would probably have to only cancel a few credit cards.
-- Just fine. I don't store any important or personal data on my computer.
-- I have no idea.
-- Other (How would you be?)
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: If my computer was compromised...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: If my computer was compromised...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problem...
by glenn30 / August 31, 2007 6:22 AM PDT

I would be just fine. I don't store any important or personal data on my computer.

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (Other) - annoyed.
by Basil Hall / August 31, 2007 7:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
If my computer was compromised I would....
by morninglory / August 31, 2007 12:41 PM PDT

I would definitely cancel my Autofill with my name, address, etc.
I don't store credit info on-line so that's not a worry. I guess I would be pretty devastated. If you have ever been robbed, this is the same thing.

Collapse -
Other: Basically as Have No Important Data / Bank....
by tobeach / August 31, 2007 3:11 PM PDT

info BUT greatly inconvenienced if I had to reformat as I have over 600 hard to find links to various AV/AS/Anti-malware tests & solutions & for many repair files & advice/hints for problem solving. Have also several small apps like "deleted file restorer" which can't be re-downloaded (no longer online).
2nd worst case is trashing of my net connect ability preventing me from obtaining online help or complete destruction of HD. Happy

Collapse -
Man!
by thebug / September 2, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

You people ever heard of paper! I print off everything thats important and save the rest to another hard drive or burn it on dvd, it's just that easy!
Email, links,bookmarks,etc,etc,etc

Collapse -
Yes I would be detroyed
by rashidtem / August 31, 2007 5:22 PM PDT

Ok yes i'm one of the few whose life depends on my computer. I've 64GB worth of over 6500 songs in my iTunes. I've over 15GB worth of over 5000 pictures in my iPhoto. I have my every bank account bookmarked password saved in my Safari. I've all my bills schedule in my iCal. I've over 1TB of Hard Drive in my Power Mac G4. I'm a full time DJ and video editor whose life revolve around his computer. I've over 200GB HD video. I've over 100 GB graphics files on it. Do I need to say more ??? BTW thanks to Apple I dont have to worry about Viruses or any other security threats. Its a 5 year old computer with only 1.25 GB RAM.

Collapse -
Your going to lose everything some day
by lucky76 / September 1, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

Buy a USB DVD RW drive and backup your files to DVD. Then get a Life.

Collapse -
You have to say something to get a response
by rashidtem / September 2, 2007 8:50 AM PDT

So you said to me "get a life". Wow, is that how desperate you are for response that you can't just stop yourself saying something like that. If you haven't notice I do have a life. I'm a Pro DJ and believe me that really gets me a nice life. BTW your solution is as useless as your comment about me getting a life. I've everything back up on External Hard drive. I can't back up Hours of HD video, but what do you know about backing up Hours of HD video ? Each hour of HD video take almost 60 Gigs. I'll be wasting my life only backing up stuff and wont' be able to do really something productive. That's why I've Apple Computer. Its not indestructible but hey for 5 years it never gave up on me, never crashed and I never lost any data, never got any virus although I'm connected to online 24/7. I do back up whatever I can on my 1TB external HD but not everything can be back up.

Collapse -
My suggestion
by santuccie / September 5, 2007 9:34 AM PDT

I think the "get a life" comment was uncalled for. But I'm questioning the 60 GB per hour of HD video. Blu-ray discs have a capacity of 30 GB, and HD DVD discs have less than that. HD DVD plays at a higher resolution than Blu-ray, but it still holds more than 60 minutes. I'm not saying this justifies the suggestion to backup your enormous library to optical disc, of course.

Personally, I keep my operating system and locally installed programs on one partition, and frequently changing data on a secondary partition. I keep extra copies of important files on an external drive, and backup my OS partition to a file on the secondary fixed partition whenever I make a major change. I also burn the image files to DVD+RW, so I can be prepared when my hard drive fails.

Due to obscurity, your risk of compromise on a Mac are considerably lesser than those of a Windows user like myself. Of course, I know more about security than most (even most other technicians), so I'm only speaking in terms of average risk. Wink Anyway, hopefully you have at least an antivirus (Mac OS comes with a basic firewall), which would further reduce your risk factor.

I've never heard of a free antispyware for Mac, but I know there are free third-party firewalls and AV scanners as well. If you don't have one, free is not a bad price for a little extra protection. And if I may say so, extra security is hardly overkill for a pro DJ like yourself. Other than that, backing up to external HDD is the right thing for you to do. You're in good shape. Salute!

Collapse -
Corrections
by Ravendon / August 30, 2008 5:46 PM PDT
In reply to: My suggestion

Not to get off the subject, but I offer some corrections.

HD DVD does NOT offer higher resolution than Blu-ray.

Blu-ray offers HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), the same as HD DVD.

Blu-ray capacity is 25GB (single layer), 50GB (dual layer), 100GB (prototype quad layer). HD DVD is 15GB (single layer), 30GB (dual layer), 51GB (prototype triple layer).

Blu-ray offers SD: approximately 23 hours, HD: 8.5 or 5.6 hours, depending on encoding method. HD DVD offers SD: approximately 13 hours, HD: 5.1 or 3.3 hours, depending on encoding method.

HD DVD is inferior to Blu-ray in every regard and that is one huge reason it has died. The ONLY advantage HD DVD had was that it was much cheaper for manufacturers to produce HD DVDs, since they didn't need to retool. Whereas Blu-ray would force them to install totally new equipment, resulting in high cost to manufacture.

"Blu-ray discs have a capacity of 30 GB, and HD DVD discs have less than that. HD DVD plays at a higher resolution than Blu-ray, but it still holds more than 60 minutes."

Collapse -
Second Correction.
by Ravendon / August 30, 2008 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: My suggestion

Mac OS X is the most secure operating system in the world. With 22+ million Macs in the world, I'm puzzled by PC users who state "security through obscurity" as if no hacker knows that Macs exist.

When it's a fact that most hackers use Mac OS X now instead of linux or unix. From Linus Torvalds and the entire staff of Slashdot, to Kevin Mitnick, etc. all use Macs now.

And since no Mac OS X system has been infected by any virus, you would think that a cracker would have tried by now to get cred for the first virus infection of Mac OS X. It hasn't happened now and it never will.

Like Linux or Unix, Mac OS X has multiple tiered authentication. Unlike Linux or Unix, it has no ROOT account enabled. It uses SUDO instead of SU. It encrypts every password into a password keychain encrypted with 256 bit Triple DES. The only OS that even comes close to it's security levels would be OpenBSD and a distant second on the Linux side would be Trustix. There is no Active-X. There is no Macro or Scripting language with ROOT access like VBA.

The only way you can compromise a Mac OS X system is to be physically at the machine and logged into a ROOT account, in addition to saying YES to every security prompt that pops up.

It comes with a built in firewall that is ENABLED by default and highly customizeable. It is based on IPFW, which is behind most server security efforts. IPFW is the most secure firewall known to mankind. IPFW is a packet filtering and accounting system which resides in the kernelmode, and has a user-land control utility, ipfw.

"Due to obscurity, your risk of compromise on a Mac are considerably lesser than those of a Windows user like myself. Of course, I know more about security than most (even most other technicians), so I'm only speaking in terms of average risk. Wink Anyway, hopefully you have at least an antivirus (Mac OS comes with a basic firewall), which would further reduce your risk factor."

Collapse -
you sound like..
by 7aji88 / September 1, 2007 1:48 PM PDT

an iMan....

Collapse -
I'm flattered
by rashidtem / September 2, 2007 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: you sound like..

I like that....iMan

Collapse -
lol
by winsoftwareman / September 2, 2007 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: you sound like..

lmfao good one. but i have 1230 photos and 76 songs and i dotn wanna loose it.

Collapse -
A - Ok
by rms315 / August 31, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

I have an external hdd for storage of any documents. I never store passwords or personal information on my pc. Just not good practice to begin with, I compare this to taping your password to the bottom of your keyboard.

I regularly back up my whole pc to my external hdd as well so I would be able to rebuild my pc at any time without my time lost. I also have my pc ghosted as well for triple protection. It is not good practice to store all your eggs in one basket.

Another thing I find so helpful is that I redirected my documents to my external hdd so that no personal document are stored on my machine. You never know when some disaster might happen!!

Collapse -
No worry
by Crazycat1294 / September 1, 2007 12:18 AM PDT

My computer can't be compromised because is stopped working yesterday. It won't even start!
(No replays about fixing it, please! I'm working w\tech support.)

Collapse -
Not quite sure what compromised means.
by Bob__B / September 1, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

If through the internet means malware.
Then I would allow my anti-tools to do their thing.
If no help I would become very friendly with google.
If no help I would pester the mavens on this forum.
If no help I would spin back my backups.
Minor annoyance.

If physically means something like a HD failure.
That's painful.
I get severe cramping in my fingers whenever I have to reach for my wallet.
After much yelping in pain I manage to get it done.
Spin back the backups.
Except for the financial pain....minor annoyance.

I suppose that puts me in..OTHER...nothing catastrophic has happened.

Collapse -
Don't store important info on your computer
by fenderphil / September 1, 2007 6:22 AM PDT

You wouldn't pin a folder with all your banking details etc etc on your front door, so why is there a need to put it where it can also be taken.?

Collapse -
PC Problem
by rashidtem / September 2, 2007 9:03 AM PDT

sure it can easily be taken if you have a PC. Mac, I dont have to worry about that. tsk tsk so sad what PC people have to go through. Sleepless nights, worrysome days.

Collapse -
If my PC computer was compromised
by pr grafix / September 1, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

GET A MAC!
grafix from the land downunder

Collapse -
Not just in a state of hurt...
by Ed-duh-win / September 1, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

I'll be in hell. A deathhole. Whimpering in the corner. Rotting.

My old computer broke down 4 weeks ago. It left me ruined, really. Can't use Messenger, can't play games, no nothing. It was horrible.

Collapse -
I would not feel good for a day I guess!!
by 7aji88 / September 1, 2007 1:38 PM PDT

It's my routine to come home after work or school and click the space bar to turn my laptop back on from standby mode, and then check my e-mail, watch some TV shows and check the news, so if my computer broke down I would be annoyed maybe for that day; however if the hard disk inside broke down and all the data on it got destroyed then that would hurt if I didn't back up some files on my external hard disk.

Collapse -
-- Just fine. I don't store any confidential data
by markerichannelly / September 4, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

I would be fine as I don't store anything that can't be replaced easily.
Of course I would be pissed off knowing that someone else penetrated the supposedly secure borders of MY PC!

Collapse -
I would be fine.
by lynjs / September 4, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

I always find it stupid to store personal data on a pc. I normally copy what I need, print and then delete. It is just not wise to put one's whole life on a computer.

Collapse -
well....
by Wolf_Domen / September 4, 2007 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: I would be fine.

I would be very disapointed, mainly because i have pictures on my pc and some of the video's i have made but other then those two if i really wanted i could run Fdisk.exe right now, but i use Kaspersky anti-virus and i havent had any problems since, YOU LUCKY MAC GUY'S! but i would never get one for how much better then pc's they are i dont like em.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.