Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Peripherals forum

General discussion

Poll: How many USB peripherals do you have connected to your computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 18, 2009 7:16 AM PDT
In total (including things connected to USB hubs), how many USB peripherals do you have connected to your computer?

1 - 3
4 - 6
7 - 9
10 - 12
13+ (Whoa! Can you name them all?)
None

List your items in the discussion thread, and let's see who has the most!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How many USB peripherals do you have connected to your computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How many USB peripherals do you have connected to your computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB devices
by R Blueboy / September 18, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

I have 1. cordless mouse, 2. video camera/mic, 3.Back-up powersupply control, 4. Turntable, 5. Scanner, 6.communicator for insulin pump. 7. Printer, 8. DVD burner

I said I had 7, but when I listed them, had 8. Dogone if I'm going to clmb behind my CPU to count the USB plugs. By the way, my HP D7100 printer will only work on 2 of my USB ports.

I'll bet that few people have a USB device that communiates with an insulin pump by radio to program the pump.

Collapse -
USB ports, and uses.
by spence6288 / September 20, 2009 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: USB devices

I have 7 USB ports on my computer. one on the front, and 4 on the mother board, and I also added a PCI 2-port USB. The 4 ports on the mother board are occupied by my mouse, Lexmark printer, speakers, and my Wi-Fi card.

I will usually also use the front port with either of my removable flash drives, or plug in my digital camera directly) instead of using only the SD memory card), or my digital voice recorder. The front port by far "sees the most action" because of different equipment being plugged in and unplugged.

Thanks!

Matthew

Collapse -
how many USB periphs?
by zepper / September 18, 2009 5:22 PM PDT

1- printer
2- scanner
3- Ext HDD 1 (3.5" can use FW connection as well)
4- Ext HDD 2 (2.5" can use SATA/eSATA too)
5- Flash card reader/writer
6- Digital Scale
7- USB self-powered, mini Hub which can supply enough power for most any high-draw device (like the 2.5" external HDD) w/o requiring a PSU for each device or multiple port connections.
8- UPS signal cable.

.bh.

Collapse -
USB Ports

Are the USB ports all the same including the ones on the front of Dell Dimension 8400 and Dell Studio XPS and does it hurt to leave a cable plugged in with no device attached?

I was advised that I might as well use the USB connection on my new Epson Artisan 800 wireless printer as long as the location of the power and phone outlets makes it easy to use the USB cable. Years ago a store consultant said long USB cables might jeopardize the scan function so they didn't sell them. Are there any scan issues with wireless based on how far the printer is away from the computer?

Collapse -
usb peripherals
by gcpowers / September 18, 2009 8:44 PM PDT

1-printer.2-wireless internet connection.3-memorex dvd recorder,4-lg dvd recorder,5 -memorex cd player-recorder,6-wireless mouse,7-wireless keyboard

Collapse -
USB Peripherals

1) Keyboard 2) Mouse 3)Turntable 4)Magic Jack 5)DVD Player 6)Lable Printer 7)Lable Printer 8)Casio CD Printer 9)Printer 10)Fax/Printer/Scanner 11)External Harddrive 12)Camera 13) Bluetoothstick

Collapse -
Not sure

how many is mine but here goes:

2x Thumbdrives (1 school files, the other news articles+programmes)
1x Printer
2x Mp3 players (Panasonic + Ipod Touch)
1x External HDD
1x USB Modem (my Mobile Phone)
1x Mobile Phone (Also double up as external storage)
1x External Mouse
1x USB Card Reader (for my flash cards)

at times,
1x Laptop Cooler
1x USB Light
oh yes, 1x External HDD (This is my other backup to the other HDD - both stored different stuffs)
and once in awhile, my laser mouse (when my hands are tied and I needed to scan my palms together.. lol)

I guess that's about 14..

Generally, about 6 at least

Collapse -
Adidtional
by deniceels / September 20, 2009 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sure

If I need to use my scanner, that'll be... errm 15.

But if considering used on desktop, then there'll be an additional 3.5" External as well, so 16? But i'll run out of drive letters before I ran out of USB ports/hub.

Maybe we could do one on how many drive letters used?

Collapse -
Drive letters?
by spence6288 / September 20, 2009 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Adidtional

I'm all the way up to N!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!